10-15lb 49 strand wire

Anderoo

I've been testing wires and I'm not very impressed. The savage gear 49 strand stuff is supple and easy to knot and looks like it'll last a long time without wearing or kinking, but it's like rope. I got some drennan soft strand to compare, which is really thin but curls up easily and breaks more easily. Both are 15lb.

I'm not happy with either, what I want is something as thin as the drennan but as durable as the savage gear. I suspect such a thing doesn't exist.

13lb flouro is better than both of them in like for like tests to destruction, helped by its slight elasticity. I'm worried that I'm actually more likely to leave jigs in fish by using wire as it's more likely to result in a break.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My successor at Caliber Tackle switched supplier to American Fishing Wire 49 strand wire and continued to sell it as Wonder Wire. I've since used this AFW 49 strand wire and can recommend it. It's available from a lot of sources. However by no means all 49 strand wire is as good!

Steve, which of the AFW wires do you think would be best suited to this? There seem to be quite a few different ones.

Also, are all 49-strand wires relatively thick and rope-like? Or can you get thin ones?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,

I'm not Steve but I can tell you by "browsing" the big box stores they all look rope-ish. This venue is going to demand wire? Is it just for traces? The reason I ask is that I saw some medical grade stainless that was really thin. Don't know if it is 49 strand or any of the other characteristics except that it knots. They use it is South Dakota some. NO clue where it comes from!

To bad in this case you have such confidence in flouro. Sounds to me you're prolly going to biytch if you're hung with brand new 49 strand rope.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Anderoo,

I'm not Steve but I can tell you by "browsing" the big box stores they all look rope-ish. This venue is going to demand wire? Is it just for traces? The reason I ask is that I saw some medical grade stainless that was really thin. Don't know if it is 49 strand or any of the other characteristics except that it knots. They use it is South Dakota some. NO clue where it comes from!

To bad in this case you have such confidence in flouro. Sounds to me you're prolly going to biytch if you're hung with brand new 49 strand rope.

Phone

Yes the venue demands wire, and yes I am bound to bitch about it I'm afraid! There probably is a 'good enough' wire out there, I just want to avoid spending loads of money finding it if I possibly can.

It's another example of good fishing being compromised by stupid catch-all rules. Before long I half expect to be told that I can't use bread at the Oxford Thames any more because some of the swans at Windsor have a wheat allergy :rolleyes:

Rich, fair question, I think it should be OK in that respect - it's flexible compared to other wires but seems about the same as the flouro we were using. I think the biggest issue is that wire is more visible, and those that are nice and thin seem a bit too easy to break. The 15lb soft strand doesn't even snap at the knots, but just shatters halfway along the trace. With the stiff rods, hard strikes and braided line, I can imagine it just shattering on the take.

With the stiff rods, hard strikes and braided line, I can imagine it just shattering on the take.

I think you are going to have to incorporate some fluoro or nylon as part of your rig just for the stretch.

I think you are going to have to incorporate some fluoro or nylon as part of your rig just for the stretch.

Yes, I did play around with that yesterday. I'm hoping to avoid it if possible as things then start to get a bit complicated. But perhaps it's unavoidable.

One other issue with using a wire trace is that you then need to use a swivel to connect it, which is not the end of the world but does mean that it affects the action of the lure and means you can't reel the trace into the rings when casting. I tried tying the trace to the braid with an albright knot but it's a weak spot and breaks too easily.

There's no rule about how long the trace needs to be, so perhaps a short trace tied to a length of flouro is the best thing, as Steve suggests above.

Steve, which of the AFW wires do you think would be best suited to this? There seem to be quite a few different ones.

Also, are all 49-strand wires relatively thick and rope-like? Or can you get thin ones?

I'm afraid I'm terribly out of date now and so can't really help much. I've used the AFW 49 strand wire at Wingham where it's worked well on pike, as has the ET wire. But then the fish there aren't exactly pressured! However, the perch very quickly stopped taking jigs on wire right from the word go. Switching back to nylon very much upped the catch rate.

There's a huge variation in 49 strand wires. This was very apparent when I got samples from all over the world 20 years ago. As I said though I'm completely out of touch with what's available on the market now. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm afraid I'm terribly out of date now and so can't really help much. I've used the AFW 49 strand wire at Wingham where it's worked well on pike, as has the ET wire. But then the fish there aren't exactly pressured! However, the perch very quickly stopped taking jigs on wire right from the word go. Switching back to nylon very much upped the catch rate.

There's a huge variation in 49 strand wires. This was very apparent when I got samples from all over the world 20 years ago. As I said though I'm completely out of touch with what's available on the market now. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

No problem Steve, thanks for replying anyway. I found the same thing with perch at the thames - when using flouro I would catch them, when I switched to wire (which I had to do because of small pike in the area) the perch stopped immediately. The wire in that case was 10lb soft strand which is very thin indeed.