10-15lb 49 strand wire

Anderoo

Anderoo, would you consider this single strand nickel-titanium wire which seems to be popular with pike fly anglers and goes down to 6lb bs?

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/trace-wire-crimps-c-56_104.html

Just ordered some of this in 12lb (daren't go any lighter), it looks hopeful. I've got 4 different wires so far and none seem right. I like the fact this stuff has a bit of stretch - if it's thin enough hopefully the hunt will be over.

They also do some interesting looking plastic-type swivels, and I've ordered some of those too. Hopefully they'll avoid the issue of metal swivels affecting the action of the lure.

Having looked at a few YouTube vids it looks like you can knot this straight to the braid too, like flouro. Fingers crossed...!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just got a first look at the knot 2 kinky wire, it's very interesting stuff - virtually impossible to kink, does have a bit of stretch but not much, and pretty thin. It is very stiff and springy though. I think overall it's the best contender so far but the stiffness and springiness might affect the lure action too much.

BUT at least the pike will be safe, unlike last year when I used flouro and caught approx. 175 zander, 2 perch and one pike and was bitten off 0 times :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Very silly point here and a bit pedantic. But do they state where in your set up you use the wire trace? and how long it needs to be?

I'm thinking here that if you used a 3ft length of fluoro connected to a 6 inch trace connected to your mainline it might not interfere with the lure action as much?

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

They don't Terry and I have considered that, but I don't think that'll go down too well if you get checked...

Very silly point here and a bit pedantic. But do they state where in your set up you use the wire trace? and how long it needs to be?

I'm thinking here that if you used a 3ft length of fluoro connected to a 6 inch trace connected to your mainline it might not interfere with the lure action as much?

kinda defeats the purpose

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

BUT at least the pike will be safe, unlike last year when I used flouro and caught approx. 175 zander, 2 perch and one pike and was bitten off 0 times :rolleyes:

sacred_zps4f2344fd.jpg

Come on, sing along;

Every pike is sacred.

Every pike is great.

If a pike is wasted,

Nev gets quite irate.

• Like 1

Anderoo, I wonder how many pike you would have caught if you'd spent the time fishing for them instead - and what the mortality % is for best practice handling of pike... :whistling:

Edited by Steve Walker

kinda defeats the purpose

What's the purpose Andy? Bear in mind 175 zander, 2 perch, 1 pike, bitten off 0 times.

Had a proper look at the k2k at home next to the other wires, definitely the wrong thing. Back to the drawing board.