10-15lb 49 strand wire

Anderoo

What's the purpose Andy? Bear in mind 175 zander, 2 perch, 1 pike, bitten off 0 times.

the purpose of a wire trace rule of course.

So what if its 175 zander and 2 perch its only 1 pike so say that again after 175 pike and see how your bite of statistic will most probably increase...

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

The question is, how long would he have to fish for to hook 175 pike, and if he spent the same amount of time deliberately targeting pike in the approved manner, how many would die as a result of being caught? We're told that pike don't take angling pressure well...

Extrapolating it would take me 175 years to catch that many pike. During that time I would have caught over 30,000 zander.

With respect Andy this is the problem with blanket rules aggressively enforced and defended by people who have no experience of the water and/or species in question. It's easy to take up a defensive position when it has no impact at all on your own fishing while providing the illusion of the moral high ground. I suspect if you shared a boat with me there for a day you would change your mind.

Steve I'm pretty sure the kind of thing I'm looking for doesn't exist (well it does, flourocarbon!) and all the options have their pros and cons. I think I've got it down to two, one that is thin and durable but very stiff, and one that is thin and soft but not very durable. I'm pretty sure now there's no wire that does all three.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not sure if it exists but have you found/tried any low breaking strain multi strand titanium? The two titanium traces I've made lure traces out of were drennan 20lb titanium and 12lb/20lb knot2kinky. The knot2kinky I think (if I remember correctly) is a stiff single strand wire which I found wasn't any good for anything where you wanted the fish (pike/perch in my case) to hold on to the lure until you set the hook i.e jigs/seedless frogs, it would be good for crankbaits though. The drennan was great, it was multi-strand, very supple, much more than similar strength normal wire. If you could find a multi-strand wire at around 8/10lb that might be what you need....... If you find something like that then let me know :-)

Will do Errrm, I wouldn't hold your breath though! I have some savage gear 15lb 49-strand wire which is lovely and supple but very thick. That seems to be the trade off. The key thing with zander is that I don't want them to be able to see it.

Yes the K2K is single strand titanium and far too stiff for jigging.

The best bet so far looks like drennan soft strand, but it kinks and curls up so easily and I don't want to spend all day replacing traces.

Have you seen nova silk 49-strand? That's the last one on my list to try...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Errm, take a look at the sovereign nova silk 12lb and the AFW Surfstrand Micro Supreme 7x7 13lb.

I have both on order, no idea yet if they'll be right but they sound like they might be close enough.

I currently use the drennan soft strand for chub and perch lure fishing and yes it's great for presentation but a nightmare to have to have to replace often.

I'll have a look at those two, can you let me know what they are like when they arrive :-)

Edit - Just looked at the Nova Silk, it looks good and being able to get it down to 6lb might be good for perch fishing. I might have to order some as well but if you can reply with some initial thoughts when you get it that would be great. :-)

Edited by Errrm

FYI RE 6lb Nova Silk:

"The 6lb is out of stock & it is now so expensive that we will not be restocking. 100lb is the optimum size to manufacture, above this the extra materials make it more expensive & below 100lb it it the difficulty of production that makes it more expensive. If we were to restock today it would be around £2 per metre & it comes on 5000mtr spools !"