More fish wasted

tuggs

I have tryed to mention new methods of match angling rules etc, at our clubs agm but you get the same answer all the time "no" they dont want to change they seem intent on bringing buckets of dead pout and whiting to the weigh in, then leaving them in a big pile on the beach or dumping them back in the sea only to get washed up with next wave.

It seems its always the most experienced and most successful of these match anglers that like to fish this way with their three hooks and speed fishing mentality i guess if you are winning the bear money then you are not going to want that to change? mention a biggest fish only type of competition, where the person with the heaviest single fish wins, then they say it is unfair and any muppet can win it, and another thing i have found out about these type of anglers is it seems that they are not bothered about catching decent size fish, as long as there are enough small fry to accomodate their comps they are quite happy.

As for measure and release, they hate them (in my club anyway) we had three in our comps last year and hardly anyone showed up for those, so this year they have cut it down to only one.

Anyway to give my idea of a biggest single fish only comp where there is no need to bring more than one fish per angler to the scales, i am going to organize a couple of mini opens at pevensey bay and see how many attendences i get? if any local guys on here fancy it give me a shout i will put up a couple of flyers in the local tackle shops as well, if i get a dozen or more it would make it worth while and pleasantly surprising......

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

As a match angler involved both at club and international level i can honestly say this practice is not a true representative of modern day match anglers. I dont undersand how this match would have been organised. The fish all look like undersized whities, its a baffling picture.

Matches where it is likely to be undersized fish as the main target are usually always catch, measure and release, minimising death. Infact, matches that are not C,M and R are usually boycoted.

Tight Lines

Shaun

As the guy in the reply says

"Pure gold to the Anti's"

also pure gold to the commercials - who will point to that and say at least we are killing to sell on to feed our families.....

we have to take the moral highground on this and stop this carnage, either through education or direct action . Whoever ran that match should be made aware that in this day and age of falling fish stocks that is no longer acceptable.

Coarse anglers and salmon anglers don't kill their catch thesedays so why should sea anglers ? ( trout is different they're not usually wild ;) )

I'd also write to Sea Angler of TSF to express your distate.

Mark.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "