Allcocks aerial ?

long trotter

The durability of the finish on these reels is notoriously poor. I think they just sprayed the alloy black without any primer, as a consequence the paint will fall off at the slightest provocation, even handling one will wear it off over time.

I reckon the seller has decided to improve the look by removing the flaking black paint on the drum backplate. It hasn’t been repainted grey, you can still see remnants of the original paint at the base of the line bearers.

As long as it runs true and isn’t worn it’ll still be great reel to use.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

As Chris says, it's just the alloy where someones removed the paint. The same seller has this slightly better looking one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOCKS-AERIAL-MATCH-CENTREPIN-REEL-/301228886131?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item4622a40873

So which would you go for Ian?

The wider spool one looks a better long trotting tool to me, but its looking a better price on the one that hasn't had a paint job and comes with a free line guard.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

So which would you go for Ian?

The wider spool one looks a better long trotting tool to me, but its looking a better price on the one that hasn't had a paint job and comes with a free line guard.

They're both exactly the same size Brian, allcocks only did the match aerial in one size. I don't like those home made line guards so i'd prefer the better looking one without the lineguard even if it does go for more money.

If you see a wide version of a match aerial it'll most likely be a Fred crouch or a another similar copy, imo the original Allcocks match aerial is the best one by a country mile.

This is another copy of the allcocks match aerial....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Match-Aerial-Free-Spirit-Centre-Pin-Reel-wide-drum-4-1-2-Signature-Edition-/251577183216?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item3a932b2bf0

That model "free spirit" never seems to be free running for some reason,...infact none of them seem as free running as the allcocks.

The Free spirit reel was made with a very basic design flaw which is fairly easily resolved with the careful use of a small round warding file.

Remove the spool and then take out the catch plate that holds the spool onto the spindle you will notice that the end of it has been left square.this is not how it should be there should be a U shape groove cut into the end which is what you will find on an Allcocks.

So simply use the warding file to cut said groove into the end of the plate. I would suggest that you go reasonably carefully so as to not cut it too deep.

Once you have done it rebuild thee reel and enjoy the huge increase in performance.

Simples!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan