Headtorch

Steve Burke

Thanks to a Forum member at last I've found the headtorch I've been looking for - many thanks. What's more it's dirt cheap!

I wanted one that could easily be operated with one hand, and with a choice of white and red LEDs, the latter so that my night vision isn't ruined. All the ones I'd seen to date were either expensive, needed two hands to switch on, or started with white light before being able to be changed to red. That meant your night vision was already ruined! Duh!

Where can you buy it? At Argos. It's a new item, ref340/9907 in the camping section of the catalogue. It's listed at £9.99 but is currently just £6.66, and that includes 3AAA batteries! It doesn't say in the catalogue, although it does online, but it has either 2 white LEDs or 1 red one. Additionally it has a tilt feature.

I'll do a proper review after I've done a full field test. However, I thought I'd mention it on the Forum as it looks very promising, plus it's currently on special offer.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

nice one steve.

been using a chinese import i got of ebay which is ok for the price but a red light would be ideal for late night beach sessions.

led`s are the way to go.although they dont have a decent spot beam, its all you need on a beach.

got sick of carrying around a motorbike battery and having the power cable get in the way,plus new bulbs are abou £3or 4,beeen through 2 in less than year.

might have to save up for one :)

Edited by dillydangler

I have the MFA Dual halogen and led model.....It is still going strong after 2 years. I use 4 AA NiMh batteries in it that give approx 6 hours of continous halogen use and about 24 hours led. The halogen doesnt give off a massive beam like some lights I have seen but it is more than adequate for getting me across the rocks to where im fishing then I use the led's

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

nice one steve.

been using a chinese import i got of ebay which is ok for the price but a red light would be ideal for late night beach sessions.

led`s are the way to go.although they dont have a decent spot beam, its all you need on a beach.

got sick of carrying around a motorbike battery and having the power cable get in the way,plus new bulbs are abou £3or 4,beeen through 2 in less than year.

might have to save up for one :)

Petzl Myo XP is a great LED lamp. It has a pre-focussed beam and three power settings. It has one white LED, some new fancy one! Also has a flip down diffuser to give a wide pool of light rather than a beam if you wish. Not bad for 50 quid, but no red LED I'm afraid!

Does red light actually give you any benefits??

Edited by DoubleShotDamo

You could add a 6 volt sla battery and charger from Maplins for 15 quid. Your light will never be dim again.

or you could try here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=5841077859

excellent service and first class kit

:sun::sun: converted a ebay cheapy and well chuffed focusable 1 LED and 1 Krypton bulb headlamp spot on :sun::sun:

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Petzl Myo XP is a great LED lamp. It has a pre-focussed beam and three power settings. It has one white LED, some new fancy one! Also has a flip down diffuser to give a wide pool of light rather than a beam if you wish. Not bad for 50 quid, but no red LED I'm afraid!

Does red light actually give you any benefits??

Not bad for £50? you must be loaded!!!!!!!!!!! You could but a sea flyfishing rod and reel for that!

IMHO LEDs are all you need, If you like fishing in the dark perhaops more importantly not scaring the fish with bright lights then a red LED helps you keep your night vision (ie your pupils stay wide open) at the same time as letting you see a bit, its fine for baiting up but you might need white to tie a knot, at least with my eyes you do!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Thanks to a Forum member at last I've found the headtorch I've been looking for - many thanks. What's more it's dirt cheap!

I wanted one that could easily be operated with one hand, and with a choice of white and red LEDs, the latter so that my night vision isn't ruined. All the ones I'd seen to date were either expensive, needed two hands to switch on, or started with white light before being able to be changed to red. That meant your night vision was already ruined! Duh!

Where can you buy it? At Argos. It's a new item, ref340/9907 in the camping section of the catalogue. It's listed at £9.99 but is currently just £6.66, and that includes 3AAA batteries! It doesn't say in the catalogue, although it does online, but it has either 2 white LEDs or 1 red one. Additionally it has a tilt feature.

I'll do a proper review after I've done a full field test. However, I thought I'd mention it on the Forum as it looks very promising, plus it's currently on special offer.

:clap2: Great piece of kit, I've just bought one to keep in the car in case of break down etc. They also do a bigger one, 340/9914, with 4 white LED's and 2 red ones, £9.65 or close, which I'll keep as a spare in case my main light packs up. :clap:

Edited by Norm B