Preserved Sandeel

dickandjill

I have seen some preserved (no need to freeze)sandeel for sale and am wondering are they any good for spinning with.I usually use frozen sandeel for my spinning and thought I might try some of these as it says they stay on the hook better.Would they have been salted?

Thanks

Richard

I have seen some preserved (no need to freeze)sandeel for sale and am wondering are they any good for spinning with.I usually use frozen sandeel for my spinning and thought I might try some of these as it says they stay on the hook better.Would they have been salted?

Thanks

Richard

:clap2: Probably but they may have been preserved some other, less appetising way. :clap2:

Guest franticfisherman2

I know salmon anglers who preserve sand eel tail in formalin. The night before they fish, they rinse a few in freshwater and let them soak in it overnight, and they catch salmon on them - no reason why it shouldn't work in the sea as well since it is a visual lure more than anything.

Mike,

I think Richard's referring to the claims of staying on the hook better. Also, if you're camping or staying away for a few days, the preserved stuff may be a viable option.

Not having seen it, though, I could be talking rubbish :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks for your replies.

I am thinking about them mainly for when on holiday in the Western Highlands.As i normally take a load of frozen ones in a food flask and then stick them in the freezer when I get there.

Would the fact that theres no scent coming from them make any difference when spinning? I always seem to catch more when using frozen sandeel compared to a rubber sandeel so scent must play a part?

Thanks for your replies.

I am thinking about them mainly for when on holiday in the Western Highlands.As i normally take a load of frozen ones in a food flask and then stick them in the freezer when I get there.

Would the fact that theres no scent coming from them make any difference when spinning? I always seem to catch more when using frozen sandeel compared to a rubber sandeel so scent must play a part?

I suspect from your thread you are pollack fishing.

I find it's very much on the day what will fish best. There are days when the Pollack are suicidal and you can catch them on Bannanna skin or even a long thin white strip cut of a plastic bag.

I have seen blast frozen sandeel out fish live baited launce. There are days when the artificals or ragworm will outfish anything.

As a lure I would suspect they will do the same job as the frozen eel. I wonder if they will stay on the hook with continuous casting.

I recon you ought to take both and fish them side by side and see which gives you the best results.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Mike,

I think Richard's referring to the claims of staying on the hook better. Also, if you're camping or staying away for a few days, the preserved stuff may be a viable option.

Not having seen it, though, I could be talking rubbish :D

Yup, brain not engaged :huh: Sorry.

I think I would favour a good artificial rubber eel, more durable.