Yankee Cod tricks

Yankeecodman

Hello Steve

The Georges Bank which is I think part of the grand banks is east of the Stellwagen Banks

I was thinking of fitting some bigger fuel tanks untill he mentioned the non commercial zone.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Yankeecodman

We were no where near the Grand Banks.

We where fishing the non commercial zone of the Stellwagen Banks in the Gulf of Maine

I guessed as much.

Same ocean though.

Please explaine "non comercial zone"

In the spawning areas they have scattered square mile areas where no

commercial fishing is allowed and is patroled by the USA coast guard.

This allows some santcuary for spawning fish from commercial harvest.

Edited by Yankeecodman

Hello Yankeecodman

I bet the comercials love you guys.

Do you know if the fishing in commecial areas is any better or worse, I can't see how few scattered square miles could make much difference.

We have hundereds of scattered square miles of permanent non commercial zones in the North Sea , they are called oil and gas rigs.

We have hundereds of scattered square miles of permanent non commercial zones in the North Sea , they are called oil and gas rigs.

It would be very interesting to see what the Cod populations are like around these oil and gas rigs Peter. From what has been said here, I would imagine them to be very healthy.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Yankeecodman

I bet the comercials love you guys.

Do you know if the fishing in commecial areas is any better or worse, I can't see how few scattered square miles could make much difference.

It's better because the zones have with in them the prime sea humps and structure that the big spawning cod prefer. These structures also atrract bait fish.

Our main problem is not so much the commercial fisherman that target the cod but the ones that target the schools of Herring that most of the sea life from Whales to Cod depend on. They come in with huge mid water trawlers and take the Herring which is the prime food for the Cod.

Guest binatone
It's better because the zones have with in them the prime sea humps and structure that the big spawning cod prefer. These structures also atrract bait fish.

Our main problem is not so much the commercial fisherman that target the cod but the ones that target the schools of Herring that most of the sea life from Whales to Cod depend on. They come in with huge mid water trawlers and take the Herring which is the prime food for the Cod.

Had the same problem in the North Sea for decade’s shortage of feed. Shortage off feed and an increase in water temperature has made cod fishing much harder in recent years.

I prefer fishing for whiting myself, there easier to catch.

Hi, havent posted for a time on this forum. I was encouraged to see good sized fish being taken on the East Coast of America, I was under the impression that the area was dead, having been fished out. Is there any evidence of recovery in the Grand Banks area? The fact that the authorities have designated protected areas is encouraging - this is several steps beyond the coincidental protection that an oil rig site affords, not to mention any attendant pollution. Preserving what we have in the sea is a big thing that must factor in protection of the very big, the whales and the very small, the zoo-plankton - unfortunately Governments do not appear to listen to any arguments that address such issues; indeed the most immediate effective move, wholesale decommissioning of North Sea fleets and a 5 to 10 year moratorium on commercial fishing in threatened areas would appearto be politically unnaceptable.

Rockling.

Hi, havent posted for a time on this forum. I was encouraged to see good sized fish being taken on the East Coast of America, I was under the impression that the area was dead, having been fished out

Don't worry Rockling you're not alone.