One mans pest is anothers pleasure.

Guest @Winter@

Guest @Winter@

I realise catching dogfish is probably a common event for you lads, infact I know a lot of you rate them as pests but For the first time in all the years I have fished in our fishing club I saw a dog fish weighed in last night. The lad who caught it has also had other rare species (for our piece of coast) in the past including skate. I must say I was thrilled to see the dogfish which after being weighed was returned alive.

Some of the old timers who seem to believe we should only catch cod might not have been too thrilled, but I personally love to see different specimens being caught. In these changing times when fish are getting thinner on the ground and you can no longer expect to catch cod on every outing it takes a good angler to diversify and find something different to catch.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm fishing for grayling, I'm often bothered by brown-trout, often up to 5lbs.

It's a real disappointment when I realise that it's just another brownie pulling the rod tip down, rather than a big grayling. The nuisance fish are quickly unhooked and returned with irritation.

Yet when I'm stalking the little river Len, especially when I'm hoping that I might catch one of the uncommon brownies that I sometimes get there, there is a real sense of achievment in catching a 9" specimen to be lovingly photographed in all of it's beauty.

Funny folk are anglers!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Winter

I once had an old boy out from Geordie land. He can remember catching plenty of Spurdog and LSD's from that coastline as a kid.

Perhaps the demise of the commercial fleet is allowing the species that use to frequent that coastline to rebuild. It's a nice thought.

Well done on the cod poll by the way. You have made a great start.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Winter,

It is good to catch new things now and again, but there are alot of anglers that see dogfish on the east coast as the beggining of the end for cod fishing. You will have heard the theory about dogfish eating cod young, etc etc, and the abundance of cod on the west coast and lack of cod. I dunno how much truth is in it though...

Tight Lines

Shaun

Its good to see new species appearing here in the NE...or for that matter old ones returning depending on how old you are.

I have got to agree that the most likely cause is the demise of the commercial sector allowing a more natural balance and distribrution of fish to re-establish itself. Mother nature has been protecting fish stocks for far longer than the CFP so lets hope this is a sign of things to come.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hello Fastd

I have got to agree that the most likely cause is the demise of the commercial sector allowing a more natural balance and distribrution of fish to re-establish itself.

I would like to know just how you and Ian consider the commercial sector has had any effect on lesser spotted dogfish ? Especially the Whitby fleet.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest @Winter@
Hello Fastd

I have got to agree that the most likely cause is the demise of the commercial sector allowing a more natural balance and distribrution of fish to re-establish itself.

I would like to know just how you and Ian consider the commercial sector has had any effect on lesser spotted dogfish ? Especially the Whitby fleet.

:yucky: Lets not bother

Why's that Winter? not interested in true facts or just happy in your igorance.

I know it gets a bit boring, I ignored the first comment by Ian thinking he's totaly wrong but I can't be bothered,

but then Fastd posted his agreement and I think well thats two totaly wrong, how many thousands more out there think as they do?

So I aim to educate, but first I need to know what they know and how they come to the usumptions that the Whitby fleet has been wipeing out the spotty dog population in your area.

I fish to live and live to fish.