Rod size advice

Ian FG

Ian,

You would probably be better getting some casting lessons [no disrespect meant]

The rod and line you have are the same as I use, but I have been FF for nearly 40 years.

I also use a 9'6" 7# again this is OK for me.

I have a 9' 10# for Pike and a 9' 6# for those days when the fish are taking freely on little buzzers.

9' rods are generally easier to cast.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin, so 9' it is then.

Another question: Is a no. 6 a lot easier to cast than a no. 8? Can a no. 6 cast very far?

Thanks for any advice, I fancy some new kit and wouldn't mind trying something easier.

PS Point taken about lessons :)

Is your rod a stiff actioned rod,if so it might load it quicker to go one size line up from the rods rating,if it is a stiff action it should not cause the rod any undue stress.

I have very stiff actioned rod/s and i am going to try a size higher rating line-just to test the theory out,although i have no major problems casting.having said that,my casting is probably woefully short of good :yucky: compared with many.

chuby,

Yes it feels stiff actioned to me.

I think I should get a more flexible 9' no. 7 rod rather than buying a no.9 line, but I will be interested to hear how you get on.

Next question, what does a £500 rod do that a £50 rod doesn't? Maybe I should invest in a decent rod and line for once in my life. :(

Guest franticfisherman2

Ian, you will notice a huge difference between a No.8 outfit and a No.6 one. It is normal for heavy lines to cast further than light ones since distance is related to speed and weight (so if you decrease the weight and keep the speed the same, the distance cast will be less). I generally fish a no.6 floater on stillwaters but I will go up to a 7 for casting into a wind or for sinking lines. I suggest you try a no.7 outfit for starters - you will notice the difference from a no.8 (it will be lighter and more pleasant to use) but you probably will not be worried about the small loss in distance. Why not try that for a season then try a no6 next year? Good luck. :)

Hi Ian,

I've only realy been seriously fly fishing for just over 2 years so not quite 40 years, but I have always used a 9ft 5/6 weight. I recently upgraded to a greys GRX which has been a good investment. I've found this length and weight very comfortable and a pleasure to cast out a good line with lighter patterns in most conditions. There is more concentration needed if you put on heavier flies, which is when a step up to a slightly heavier weight comes into play.

I have used a friends 10ft 8 weight, which to be honest, I found a little clumbsy, but that is probably down to my own preference.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, wozzamozza

Ian,

You may find this link interesting and helpful, as it contains links to help you improve your casting.

Several friends of mine have commented that as they[and me] get older a lighter outfit is much nicer to use. They are also amazed that their distance is not much less.

If you have a good technique you should be able to cast almost as far with a 6# line.

Give me a shout when you manage 50 yards :o:P

Colin

Thanks for all your help guys, I will definitely be getting some lighter kit for the spring.

One more question: Do you prefer a tip action or a through action? The rod I have seems as flexible as an ironing board. Any recommended makes/models? (Greys noted thanks Wozzamozza).

You may well find a mid actioned rod more comfortable/easy to cast with.In have two fast actioned rods and get on ok with them-and i certainly aint a great caster.Also have a mid actioned rod,which is a tad easier to cast with.

I think it is hard to tell if you will like a rod until you actually use it :headhurt::)