1. 1. How often do you do backup?

• Before I reformat
    • When I remember
    • Once a week
    • Once a month
    • Everytime I've uploaded new photos
    • When I backup the rest of my system
    • Whats backing up?

One little tip from me........ occasionally give copies of your backup DVDs/CDs to a friend or relative for safe keeping. That way you are covered if the house burns down or a burgler gets their hands on them. Most of my pictures are of the children, and their grandparents are more than happy to receive CDs full of pictures every once in a while!

Chris

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backups are good and Steve's note about using good (also more expensive) CD / DVD blanks is good.

However, if you are looking at some sort of long term solution so that a picture you backup today will be available to you in 20-30 years, there are some serious additional considerations.

The computer industry is changing very rapidly so you will need to be sure that the backup media you use today has something available to read your data in a few years.

Anyone have data stored on 8" floppy disks? If so, so you still have an 8" floppy drive? How about the newer 5¼ floppys?

Floppy drives aren't even available as standard equipment on most PCs you buy today.

Any of us have lots of important data backed up to 4mm Dat tape? Make sure you save a drive that can read them.

Short term storage gives you tons of good options but if you want to keep any files (and pictures would be likely canidates) you should also plan on moving all your important files to the 'latest & greatest' storage about every 5 years.

note to Judy and Finepix - the 3rd vote for 'whats a backup?' is me. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I backup everytime I take shots.

Have folder on my computer called 'Photos', in there I make a new folder each time I use the camera ... usually with a naming convention of monthyear_subject and copy the photos from the card into the newly created folder.... ie February2006_CarloRun2 ...... for photos I took today of my dog 'Carlo' running about .... did ones of Sunday also, hence CarloRun2, they were February2006_CarloRun.

I have a Maxtor 250 Gig external hard drive attached, and in the photos folder have folders for each year, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 ......... so I copy the newly created folder into the current year folder '2006'.

At the end of the week, I usually copy any new folders I have created onto a blank DVD, and keep going until I fill up the 4.7 GB and then throw in a new blank DVD and so on, and so on.

For Post Processed Photographs, I have seperate folders and similar naming and backing up processes.

Thats my process - have done it for years ...

Gillies

Ditto!!

Apart from the naming of folders and files.

Back up to an external drive and also have drive partitions on the computer HD.

Colin

Guest franticfisherman2

I backup all my docs including photos at the beginning of every month to an external HDD. When that is done I delete the pics from my camera card(s). If I have really important pics I will save them to a CD immediately afer downloading from the camera. Can't go wrong with the "belt & braces" technique!

Backups are good and Steve's note about using good (also more expensive) CD / DVD blanks is good.

However, if you are looking at some sort of long term solution so that a picture you backup today will be available to you in 20-30 years, there are some serious additional considerations.

The computer industry is changing very rapidly so you will need to be sure that the backup media you use today has something available to read your data in a few years.

Anyone have data stored on 8" floppy disks? If so, so you still have an 8" floppy drive? How about the newer 5¼ floppys?

Floppy drives aren't even available as standard equipment on most PCs you buy today.

Any of us have lots of important data backed up to 4mm Dat tape? Make sure you save a drive that can read them.

Short term storage gives you tons of good options but if you want to keep any files (and pictures would be likely canidates) you should also plan on moving all your important files to the 'latest & greatest' storage about every 5 years.

note to Judy and Finepix - the 3rd vote for 'whats a backup?' is me. :D :D

I'll go along with all of that. I currently back up to DLT. Backing up to a HDD is a waste of time IMHO.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

DLT wasent he a radio geezer , if you back it up to seperate internall drives its highly unlikely both will fail at the same time and they are much faster to copy from the ok one to a new drive when you replace it.

Newts right about the future but technology over laps ,those 8" disks didnt go obselete overnight so a progression over the years of copying to the newest media is always to hand.

i went from 5 1/4 to 3.5 to zip 100 to cd now 4.7 gig DVD (its a dual layer so can use 8 gig discs) as the latest comes i'l get it once its cheap enough and the rush of the" must have" merchants have died away.

the original format may have corrupted over time but everythings safe on the latest ,i have had corrupted cd's already (strange holes appearing in the coating) but that cd only has backup stuff to the next generation after it .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just backed tham all up onto CD-ROM and the Ibook thanks for the reminder

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

keep your eyes out for tiny blue dots (mine was blue but it may differ with different makes ,over to newt for that one) i spotted a couple on a cd and over the years they have grown no doupt corrupting the info under them ,i expect the whole disk could be useless as the listing gets mixed up so windows throws a wobbly trying to read them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson