To Flying Tench

Bob Bradford

An open question for all the other posters to read;

Flying Tench, we have never met to my knowledge, nor do we have any past history on this site or any other, yesterday you will have been well aware that I expressed my disgust on here about the way you killed a deep hooked quality Perch, I was led to believe by your fellow posters on here that you are an experienced angler and a good man, so with that in mind would you do me the simple courtesy of answering a few question please?

1, How long have you been an angler?

2,What implement do you use to disgorge fish?

3,Do you catch many fish,and are they specimens?

4,What did you do with the dead Perch?

5, Have you learned anything from yesterdays debate?

6, In your opinion ,how did the Perch become so deep hooked?

Thank you in advance, John?

As to some of the rest of you, I would expect for you to keep your opinions and snidey comments about me restricted to PM'S to each other ,do not try to contact me, unless you have something constructive to say,regards Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Bob

I take it that the original thread has been removed. I looked for it this morning to catch up and there it was.....................gone. As I never saw the last couple of pages I can't comment on what went wrong but from what I saw of the first few pages there was the basis of good debate on unhooking and dealing with deep hooked fish , shame if it went pear shaped

Yes Brian you are correct, but that is now in the past, I want to concentrate on how experienced anglers can fish for any given length of time and still not know a few ,simple basic procedures regarding deep hooked fish and their welfare, I was ( and still am) deeply shocked by some of the advice given yesterday and have come to realise this problem is much bigger and more widespread than I imagined, i am not on a witch hunt however, but I feel very strongly indeed this needs to be discussed in the open for others to learn from, I put a lot of peoples noses out of joint yesterday with my brash and abrasive tone and the "debate" centered around that instead of the real, very worrying issue of fish handling and care,regards Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Bob

How about we turn this about, and rather than the grand inquisition whereby you ask FT to belittle himself by giving the wrong answers you give us all the benefit of your experience and let us all know how it should be done.

Clearly you have thoughts on the matter, and as the welfare of the fish is paramount surely it would be better that way round.

Yours in anticipation.

I too believe that this shoud be, and remain a relevant and meaningful debate.

Accidents do happen, and this, I'm sure was just such an unfortuanate accident.

I have no wish to belittle John in anyway and would respectfully ask him what he feels that he may have done wrong, if anything, and, more importantly, what he feels that we can all learn from this lamentable occurence.

Do others have similar experiences that can add weight to the debate? What do they do to ensure no mortally injured perch? If John had just snipped the line as close to the throat as possible would the perch have survived. I mean that Rex Hunt advocates such an action with the species that he catches, does it apply?

I agree with the others, how do you avoid the problem Bob?

Edited by Peter Waller

Sorry Bob but I think you're approach is completely out of order. I've met John (Flying Tench) He's fished on my boat for a day and will do so again and as such I can vouch for his general level of competence.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I too believe that this shoud be, and remain a relevant and meaningful debate.

Accidents do happen, and this, I'm sure was just such an unfortuanate accident.

I have no wish to belittle John in anyway and would respectfully ask him what he feels that he may have done wrong, if anything, and, more importantly, what he feels that we can all learn from this lamentable occurence.

Do others have similar experiences that can add weight to the debate? What do they do to ensure no mortally injured perch? If John had just snipped the line as close to the throat as possible would the perch have survived. I mean that Rex Hunt advocates such an action with the species that he catches, does it apply?

I agree with the others, how do you avoid the problem Bob?

I'll put myself in the line of fire here - I've had perch (plural) swallow the hook before and have been unable to remove it with a disgorger. I consider myself a competent angler (I've fished for 25 years, if that makes any difference). I can use a disgorger. Some hooks just can't be removed without damaging or killing the fish, especially if the hooks are barbed and the fish is small. Poking around in a fish's stomach with a length of plastic is sometimes - not usually - too much. In these circumstances a swift knock to the head with something like a heavy bankstick is what I have done, and the fish kept and frozen for deadbait.

Last season I had a chub swallow a bait right down and the best thing there seemed to be to cut the line as close as possible, so that's what I did. I struck as soon as I could and was using a sensitive rig, but there you go. I felt bad, but these things do occasionally happen. This is the real world. I don't need fishing tuition either before anyone offers. :P

Ready - aim - fire!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

fishing is not an exact science you cannot positivley guarantee what you will catch and how or where i have deep hooked fish especially perch many were returned with the hook still inside and some given to the owner of the place i fish for use as deadbait for piking. It causes no harm in the killing of a few fish if the water is well stocked and you have the owners permission.

Many peeps blather on about fishing being a sport, lets get this right it is not, exept those that use it as such, match anglers and specimen hunters etc it has become so but to many it is a hobby or pastime and should be treated as such.The latest bit in AT/AM re exams is absolute bo*****s these no names no faces who dream up this garbage many have never fished and for those that have how many will admit to foul/deep hooking in the past or even present.

There are far to many [so called anglers] who try to keep the hobby to themselves secret waters baits tactics and denounce anybody elses attempts to join in this is why the anti's will always win because most peoples attitudes are stuff you im alright and the cliqes and buddy clubs on many forums close ranks and shut down outside voices

[me stands back waiting for the grenades to come over the top] :P:P

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com