Rod line casting help

Adam247

Hi guys an girls - need a bit of advice for helping out myself and a mate. What is on out minds is minimum strength line to casting weight and test curve of the rod. Was told by a mate the typical rule of thumb is 1oz to 1lb test to 4lb min line.

In terms of casing lures how would this work as most lure rods state the casting weight but not line strength - I believe casting weights in excess of 50g lures then a minimum line bs should be at least 45lb braid. Yet he says that it's not enough if snagged - I agree but a lure retriever reduces the bs needed as can help bring back 99.99% of lures.

Another part is info in regards to the above rule 1oz to 1lb to 4lb (mono ) line

If a bait casting/ jerk bait rod is stated as 30-100g casting ability what would be the best braided line to use ? Assuming that the max casting ability of the rod is 20% of its test curve before it starts to bend

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

I've never really taken the rod test curve into that much consideration.

Float fishing mainline between 2lb and 6lb depending on venue and expected spieces.

Ledgering between 5lb and 10lb again depending on venue and target spieces

Carp fishing between 8lb -14lb depending on snags and size of expected carp

pike fishing i tend to use 12lb line

lure fishing i'd probably use 40lb -50lb braid mainly for feel

My main consideration is landing the fish not losing tackle because i cast into snags. If i leave a float up a tree its my own daft fault for casting it there.

Of course each of the consideration has a rod to match but its a guide not a rule and only really comes into play when distinguishing from targetting big fish or fishing for whatever may be in front of me.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.