open question to Bob Bradford

Guest NickInTheNorth

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick but I feel that Nick's description of his tactics were an indication of how somebody that might benefit from your vast experience might be fishing - and not how he would fish himself. I think he was trying to draw an answer from you - and if I'm wrong in my interpretation then I'm sure I will be corrected in due course :D

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right folks, the challenge is on!

A train whistle blows in the distance.

Cue guitars, a deep voice sings, "Do not forsake me oh my darling".

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

"Just to keep life real simple for you imagine I'm fishing a 5 metre whip. 6lb line straight through. A float of some sort taking 2 swan shot, bulked about 3 feet from the hook, which is a size 10 forged with a big barb. For bait I've got a wriggly old lob worm. And I'm fishing over depth by about 2 foot so the float can blow about plenty"

I have reconsidered my first post as , (and I find this very hard to believe )people actually may fish like this, so here is what is wrong with that statement;

Lets take the whip first, a whip is designed to catch large quantity's of small fish quickly, NOT FISH LARGE ENOUGH TO TARGET WITH A FORGED SIZE TEN HOOK AND A WHOLE LOBWORM.

The line is far too heavy for reasons explained above, also there is no hooklength, so that means there is no weak link should a very large fish like a Pike take the bait, the whole rig will be lost, resulting in the Pike towing the line,a float and several large shot around...hardly good angling practice!

"A float of some sort" What sort? don't you know?

And finally we come to "two foot overdepth" I can tell you that by the time you have realised you have got a fish on it will already be deep hooked, again very bad angling practice, there is no need to fish so far overdepth with such a large bait, the weight of that hook and bait will hold very easily unless you are fishing in a gale force nine!

Now stop trying to get your pound of flesh out of me because I actually condemned the FACT that a so called experienced angler did not know a few basic details to save a deep hooked Perch and NOT the fact that he killed it, but the way in which it met it's maker.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Nowt wrong with decent knockers :clap:

i certainly have a pair :sun::sun::sun:

Davey how do i cast not sure really,just do it!!!sometimes swing the float out,sometimes do it sideways...not sure that makes any sense....but i do and can catch fish!!! just cannot manage any longer than a 6m.... ;);););)

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

How do you cast with a 6 meter pole?

As one who has never ever used a pole, has no wish to ever use a pole, but I do have an 18' rod, I can only guess that you lower the rig in, or a roll type cast with the tip? Am I wrong, or am I wrong?

"Just to keep life real simple for you imagine I'm fishing a 5 metre whip. 6lb line straight through. A float of some sort taking 2 swan shot, bulked about 3 feet from the hook, which is a size 10 forged with a big barb. For bait I've got a wriggly old lob worm. And I'm fishing over depth by about 2 foot so the float can blow about plenty"

I have reconsidered my first post as , (and I find this very hard to believe )people actually may fish like this, so here is what is wrong with that statement;

Lets take the whip first, a whip is designed to catch large quantity's of small fish quickly, NOT FISH LARGE ENOUGH TO TARGET WITH A FORGED SIZE TEN HOOK AND A WHOLE LOBWORM.

The line is far too heavy for reasons explained above, also there is no hooklength, so that means there is no weak link should a very large fish like a Pike take the bait, the whole rig will be lost, resulting in the Pike towing the line,a float and several large shot around...hardly good angling practice!

"A float of some sort" What sort? don't you know?

And finally we come to "two foot overdepth" I can tell you that by the time you have realised you have got a fish on it will already be deep hooked, again very bad angling practice, there is no need to fish so far overdepth with such a large bait, the weight of that hook and bait will hold very easily unless you are fishing in a gale force nine!

Now stop trying to get your pound of flesh out of me because I actually condemned the FACT that a so called experienced angler did not know a few basic details to save a deep hooked Perch and NOT the fact that he killed it, but the way in which it met it's maker.

Good answer.

Tigger.

I've just bought circle hooks down to #6, but that involved a fair search and haven't seen any smaller on my searches so far.

Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks are readily available down to #8.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President