? Fishing Test

nursejudy

I don't know what (if any) credentials the anonymous AT columnist "The Mole" has, but he doesn't think much of the quality of the PAA coaching course, according to his latest piece.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not much that's positive has been said about the PAA, so you can't fault the accuracy of the thread, either! :)

At least everyone is still talking and being civil..... perhaps we need more women posting on here..... thats done it!!!!!!!! flak jacket on ....

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Proffesional fishing guides/instructors etc are very much the norm in other countries.I believe that in the US there are more proffesional angling guides than golf pro's!

It has often been suggested that anything like this will never take off in this country due to the stuborness of our anglers.I would sugest its more due to the **** poor standards of the majority of the ones we have come across!

Before I was asked to guide anglers for cat fish abroad (note the fact that I was asked) I had many years under my belt and many fish.I will not name names but in Spain alone there are now many "guides" whose total experience is a guided trip with another guide! I cant believe the cheek of these people!

Any experienced angler will soon see through these pretenders be they guides or instructor/coachs but it is this sort of thing that destroys the credibility of what in essence is a logical system.

Although as I said the "test"/"licensing" shouldnt hinge around actual mechanics of angling,why shouldnt a newcomer pay some one to teach him? Not every one has a friend/relative that can take them.

I will at this point say that I think the fees charged by some of the "name" anglers to spend a day with them is ridiculous! another thing that stops the system I would like to see comming in.

Night school classes for fly tying are seemingly acepted so why not float making rig tying and indeed basic fishing skills?

Cant think of many sports/past times the size of ours that hasnt got an established (and accepted) teaching/coaching structure?

How often do we read even the most experienced of us say that we never stop learning?

I learnt more about using a double handed salmon rod from one casting instructer in one afternoon than any DVD/book/internet forum could have given me.

I dont know maybe I just see it different to others as Ive always wanted to learn more and had to struggle and scrape around to do so...

Chav mentions that you cant "teach" kids not to leave litter,leave gates open etc,etc. This is quite true but if you can capture there imaginations by showing them other "cool" stuff your influence certainly rubs off on them.

Another thing is that many automaticly think of newcomers to angling as kids,this simply isnt true. Maybe the more mature person with a good income from a long houred job would gladly pay to learn so maximising his limited time? Much like many use guides.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Qualificatins can be an absurd thing.

I have sailed a boat since I was a tot. I am a registered Royal Yachting Association Senior Coach. I saw my local education authority advertising for sailing instructors so I applied. I was asked if I had my RYA Grade One to Three Dayboat Certificates? No, but I used to coach to that standard and issue those very same certificates on behalf of the RYA. Sorry, you can't have the job, you don't have the certifcates! You can, however, gain Grade 1 this year, Grade 2 next year and Grade Three in three years time and you will be able to apply then! So they would rather employ a person with three years experience than one with my experience and qualification? I used to teach teachers for Sussex Education Authority back in the late sixties/early 70's!

I was also a professional photographer, qualified with the Master Photographers Association, qualified to judge photography to national standards. I applied for a job and was asked if I had an NVQ, Not Very Quick, in photography? No, but I had been involved in formulating the qualification! Needless to say that I didn't get that job either.

So, put basically, I don't have much faith in qualifications.

Edited by Peter Waller

I can relate to what you are saying Peter.

when I worked in the security industry I used to teach First Aid (on Government recognised courses) to Door Supervisers. To renew my own Door Licence I used to have to go to another company and pay them to do a Basic course! One year I reffused to play this stupid game and spoke to the local council licencing department. They said that I had to submit a current certificate,I said fine I will go and sign my self one! Cant you get some one else to sign it they asked.I told them I was the only qualified instructer in the company.Oh just get anyone to sign it then......

Was refused a licence in one area as all of my Door courses were over three years old.........even though I was down on their list of preffered training suppliers!

Like you said Peter madness.Im sure the same crap would cock any of my sugested things up as well!

What was it the advert said "those who can teach"? more like those who have got the right piece of paper..........as proscribed by those who cant!

They have introduced testing as part of the Angling licensing process in Andalucia (Southern Spain) and it has hit the local tackle trade hard as the occasional anglers no longer bother fishing.

I suspect much the same could happen here if it was introduced or we have even fewer anglers bothering with a licence.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Chav mentions that you cant "teach" kids not to leave litter,leave gates open etc,etc.

Who???? :blink:

Its not just kids I was thinking of Budgie, but the bone-heads who have been fishing twenty years or more and still don't know how to behave.

There is a distinction beween teaching

1/ what you might term "competence to be at the waterside" (eg fish handling, how to treat the countryside in general and in particular the water you are fishing) which is something that should be a universally expected, and

2/ individual angling skill (eg watercraft, casting, float control, rig design etc) which is the concern of nobody except the angler himself (and possibly his fishing mates)

If everyone met the first condition I would be more than happy - it should be the minimum requirement.

If any "test" is made compulsory, then it should be confined to that first condition. Individual skills are not relevant, someone sitting quietly by the water, having paid his/her licence and club fees, doing no damage, leaving no litter - and catching no fish - should be welcomed whatever their actual skill level. If that angler wants to improve, then its up to him/her to contact a coach, pal up with some better anglers, read up on the subject, or even join an angling forum :P

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Fair enough Tigger and I am sure there are many thousands of equally adept anglers already out there, I like to think I can fish a bit and know how to handle fish properly , but none of us know the lot and to illustrate my point I have cut and pasted a PM sent to Peter Waller on 31/1/06, in it I am asking for a pike fishing lesson or two, it is only part of my message to him, but I believe it illustrates the correct attitude toward angling, remember , I have been a very successful open match angler fishing at times against world class opponents over the past 3 decades, not 2 as I state in my PM.

"As I stated on the ill fated fish theft thread, I am an open match angler, and have been immersed in that particular bubble for the best part of 20 years, I have very little knowledge of other aspects of our great sport/pastime and feel that needs to be addressed pronto! would you consider a trip out with me so I can at least get an in depth look at how it should be done properly? I expect to pay for the privilege mate and am not looking for freebies, regards and tight lines,Bob. "

What is wrong with opening your mind to the fact that we can all learn something?

Anglers seem entrenched in their ways, It is certainly not a case of teaching us to suck eggs, more a case of raising the overall level of competancy...That must be a good thing for the image of angling , would you not agree?.

Bob i've no doubt there are many incompetent anglers out there but isn't that the same for virtually everything in life?

Even people who pass exams and have countless qualifications, degrees etc to their name still need hands on experience. Passing an exam is not a sign of a competent Angler you need to know how to apply this knowledge and this is only gained by hands on experience.

IMO it should be up to the individual, if they feel unsure of their capabilities then they should seek some tuition or guidence etc, but if they feel confident in their abilities then they shouldn't need to take an exam.

Tigger.

Sorry Vagabond,I thought it was Chavander!

You are totally right.For the purpose of testing/licensing the first group you mention is the only relevant one.

Personal skill levels are down to the individual be it self learnt over time or from a paid instructor.

Great care must be taken not to confuse the two.