Photo Challenge #7: Architecture

paul mc

There is much fancier and more feature-rich software available but my workhorse is Irfanview and after loading the program, get the Plug-ins.

The program & plug-ins are free and updated regularly. I've used it for at least 5 years now.

Thanks for that I have downloaded in and have now discovered how to rotate and then crop :clap2:

Sooz

:victory:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006_0225Arundel0022.jpg

The cathedral i was at was so photogenic and i could of filled my memory card up. hope you like these to pics cause I'm kinda feeling there better then the one i entered!! lol

ps.....I think i might be using Hellbelly's under the boardwalk as my screen saver if he doesn't mind?

Ollie.

Ollie, I agree, that gets my vote mate, little touch of 'left hand down' on the computer and its there, Wow :1a:

:ph34r: CJS2

Love the pictures inside the cathedral. Did you get any closer shots of the stained glass windows? If so, please post. Some of my favorite pictures of St. Paul's Cathedral are straight up.

Jan--- unfortunately the sun ws so bright coming through the windows that i thought look most out standing so the shots didn't come out very well at all :( so i haven't saved them! but i think this one is the closest i got to a half decent shot of the windows.....and its not really as close as i would of liked it!

redone7hi.jpg

Ollie, thought the original pic you entered was the best, and was deserving of a place in the top 3 in my opinion.

Well done mate, cracking shot.

Cheers Dan....but to be honest i had so many shots to choose from i was never gonna be happy with the one i put in the challenge!! lol I'm so hard to please. but yer I'm happy with the shot and glad others have liked it also!! thanks all.

Ollie, I agree, that gets my vote mate, little touch of 'left hand down' on the computer and its there, Wow :1a:

:ph34r: CJS2

lol....your rite about it needing to be rotated abit....i didn't know how to do it till newt and rabster just helped the wife sort her wonky shot out!! lol tell ya something it makes a hell of a difference just rotating it that little bit!!

Glad you liked the pic

Ollie.

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Ollie Jay, hope you dont mind, had a little play in 'PS Elements 2', with your church image, what you think? nothing very technical, perhaps Steve cold give a view on weather it would be eligable for the comp? I presume you can have a look and see what has been done? Be interstesed in any ones coments on my efforts good or bad? CJS2

church.jpg

Church Photo by Ollie Jay

Guest Jan V
here are a couple of St Albans cathedral from last year for you Jan V

Thanks for the pic's - love 'em. The ceiling is something you might not even pick up w/o scrutinizing a picture later. Photo editing software can sure do wonders. So does that make a photographer a tad more lazy?

Ollie Jay, hope you dont mind, had a little play in 'PS Elements 2', with your church image, what you think? nothing very technical, perhaps Steve cold give a view on weather it would be eligable for the comp? I presume you can have a look and see what has been done? Be interstesed in any ones coments on my efforts good or bad? CJS2

Looks really good to me and if i had taken the shot and realized it could look that good with a little tinkering around then maybe that would of been my first choice!! sooz78(wife) has downloaded a program that does all that stuff but i haven't had much time to look into it yet apart from a little go the other night!! i have to say again what a difference it makes to the pic just be of ballance......cheers for for reposting the pic and showing me what it looks like......love it :thumbs: top job!!

Ollie.

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Tinkering pictures is great. However, if I understand the comp rules correctly, "tinkering" isn't allowed. Cropping, "shrinking" the pic down to acceptable sizes and conversion to b/w is only allowed. Am I right Steve?

'Jan V'

"Quote: * Crop, Contrast/Brightness and levels are only done in digital photo manipulation..Further editing is discouraged."

The above is what is allowed in the rules, in my book that is 'tinkering' and about what I did. Its about as far as I can or want to go with respect to 'photography'. Any more, and we are in the relms of manipulation, artistry and what is in the mind of said artist/photographer, not what was in front of the lense.

Have no intention of stiring up a hornets nest. Which is why I kept it simple, easy to do and within the spirit of the rules. This of course, is the problem with 'Digital' there is always the element of 'how real is it', its so easy. Believe me I am at level '1', accademicaly I missed the boat, boy did I miss out :wallbash: I have trouble reading, writing, spelling, I have dislexia, relying on association triggers to get by. Tinkering is my limit.

Sorry, 'Ollie J', seem to have hit a nearv? Only trying to show you whats what mate.

CJS2

Edited by CJS2

I think there is a need to face facts here.

Firstly we are all amateurs at this, maybe one or two may sell the occasional print but otherwise its a hobby of sorts. Sure, we all try to get the perfect shot but at amateur status and using non pro gear then whats in front of the lens is only on the final photograph 1 time out of 100 ....if your lucky!

There are a few who have a zoom lens, thats great you can crop in the camera, but to maintain as much a level playing field throughout the forum members, (some of which have in the past entered the challenge with phone photo's) cropping is allowed.

Again to help those with equipment such as older digital cameras, or the lower end digi cams, brightness/contrast and levels are allowed as this can be something near impossible to get right with the older or cheaper cams, or those with limited specification.

Black and white conversion was added as a means of extra excitement as it has always been a popular medium, but sepia was not allowed as it then starts to drift into colour toning of photos. All this led to the rule of "Crop, Contrast/Brightness and levels" being allowed with further editing discouraged.

We could talk on and on about channel colour correction, masking, dodging and burning, filters etc etc <--thats tinkering, the above rules allow basic corrections in an attempt to get the picture the same as what you saw through the viewfinder to be that one in a hundred shot that is a true representation, not an artistic remake.

Every single shot the professional takes is processed in some way, I'll stick my neck on the line and say that you'll never see a published pro's shot that has not been processed first, in some way.

But anyway, the rules where set to allow a level playing field for all with some very basic tweaks.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet