Live baiting question?

Guest kingfisher

Guest kingfisher

I have kept snakes in the past and used to feed them on mice and small rats progressing on to a couple of large rats for the biggers snakes.

My question is.................

Would it be worth buying a few mice or even catching a few in a 'trip-trap' and using them for pike fishing?

Thanks in advance.:)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bother?. You'd only have to look after and feed them before using them assuming you could catch them anyway.

Far easier to use a floating mouse lure in the warmer months for a bit of top water fishing, they don't take much looking after either

Guest kingfisher

Where I live they are plentyfull and easy to catch.

I could set the traps the night before I got piking.

I've tried the Heddon meadow mouse and had a few good hits but no real takes, that's why I thought a live mouse would be more suitable?????????

Guest kingfisher
Not only would I not want to use warm blooded creatures for bait but they also have a major drawback....they all eventually drown! Use fish or as Brian says an artificial.

Even using a live fish has the same drawback, it will die eventually.

If the mouse is cast and drawn back out of the water it will get it's breath back.

I suppose using a live frog in the spring/summer would be productive?

If the mouse is cast and drawn back out of the water it will get it's breath back.

the same answer; use an artificial frog lure. They're even better than the real thing now with their long silicone flexible rear legs they perform better than live frogs and you can catch more than one fish on them

Are you for real or what ! ?

Tigger

Edited by tigger

Guest kingfisher
Are you for reel or what!?

Tigger

'Reel', I like that.:D

I think it would be a good idea, natural baits surely are better than artificials.

Have you ever seen a pike take a mouse or duckling off the surface?

Guest kingfisher
Does the the water you fish allow the use of mice as baits? I bet there are not many club waters that would allow this practice.

Live baiting is allowed where I fish. :)