Live baiting question?

Guest kingfisher

So it looks like using a DEAD mouse for bait won't be a problem.

:)

Wow, Who didn't see that one coming a few pages ago?

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are local byelaws that make the use of live fish for bait illegal in some areas (ie The Lake District).

Many angling clubs and fishery owners have similar rules.

These have been introduced to prevent the spread of alien species or fish diseases, rather than as an animal welfare issue.

Where these local byelaws and rules do not exist, it is perfectly legal to use live fish for bait.

Animal Welfare legislation makes it illegal to cause suffering to any other vertebrate creature on animal welfare grounds.

It would not be illegal to use a dead creature, or any part thereof for bait (luncheon meat and steak are excellent baits).

I doubt that a pike would take a dead mouse, or a any other piece of meat.

Much better to use a lure, dead fish or live fish (caught at the water being fished, otherwise you will fall foul of legislation against moving fish from one water to another without a section 30 consent).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guys are you not noticing a pattern here?

Kingfisher puts up a controversial message and gets an arguement going. He sits back and watches. When it goes quiet he's already read all the posts, can pick out the odd gem of a comment or anomolie or contradiction, and bang, he's back with another question or comment to spark things up.

He's using affective bait on us at the moment and we're all reacting.

What we should do is stop replying to his posts and not give him the satisfaction.

He even says "wind up or not" in one post. I'd take the former.

Perhaps he should change his name from Joe King to Huan Kerr to make it a bit more obvious!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Guys are you not noticing a pattern here?

Kingfisher puts up a controversial message and gets an arguement going. He sits back and watches. When it goes quiet he's already read all the posts, can pick out the odd gem of a comment or anomolie or contradiction, and bang, he's back with another question or comment to spark things up.

What we should do is stop replying to his posts and not give him the satisfaction.

Perhaps he should change his name from Joe King to Huan Kerr to make it a bit more obvious!

Your right m8 i reckon Kingfisher is just having a laugh knowing he's winding people up.

Just one thing about Reptiles and giving them live food though. There are reptiles which need live food to stimulate them into feeding and may not take it if it's dead and so i feel that is a justified reason for doing it, but feeding live food to Reptiles is a totaly different thing to hooking on a live Rodent (even if it is verminous) and performing a medieval torture process.

Tigger.

Budgie, I have seen ducks and coots taken several times.

One that springs to mind was on the calder. There were a few mallard near the far bank, when there was an all-mighty splash, and one duck disappeared backwards under the water. It resurfaced, only to be pulled back again, on the third attempt, it surfaced and shot about 3or 4 yards out into the river, then it started to sink, very slowly until just its head and the top of its back was visible. It was in the middle of the river, being carried by the current, until I lost sight of it. My brother was fishing about 100 yds downstream, came up about 5 mins later and said "You'll never guess what I've just seen, a sinking duck"!. I can only assume the pike had taken a chunk out of it, and so it couldn't swim.

I dont doubt you Gozzer.Im quite prepared to acept that it happens its just the frequency that I doubt.Ive had pike grab black painted leads on the bottom of pat rigs but I dont think it would be worth me dumping my usual baits in favour of them though!

I bet more pike are taken on artificial mouse type lures than actualy take mice though!

Whilst in the States Ive seen some really realistic duckling and rat imitation Muskie lures.I cant post any pics at the moment but bet Newt could dig up one of a Watson Wrat for example?

Maybe the taking of birds/mammals from the surface is more common on some waters than others? At a guess "hungry" waters would be the most obvious.

I suppose my point was really that taking in to account the many thousands of hours Ive spent at the waters edge and never having seen it ,it must be a relatively rare (or some what localised) event! Certainly far to rare for me to even consider it a viable method even if I was happy (which I certainly wouldnt be) with the cruelty aspect.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE, It wasn't meant as a comment on the thread,I think the subject doesn't warrant a serious answer,IMO it's just a wind up!

It was just an observation, I have seen birds taken on several Yorkshire rivers, mainly the Ouse.

The case I mentioned, just looked so odd, to see this poor duck, still alive,slowly sinking as it floated downstream.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Here's what I said earlier in case it's lost in the quagmire of posts:

"Kingfisher puts up a controversial message and gets an arguement going. He sits back and watches. When it goes quiet he's already read all the posts, can pick out the odd gem of a comment or anomolie or contradiction, and bang, he's back with another question or comment to spark things up.

Perhaps he should change his name from Joe King to Huan Kerr to make it a bit more obvious!"

Let's stop responding and he'll stop posting, simple as that.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

king fisher, i have to say your off your rocker! what a moronic attitude, although i suppose its to be expected from someone that keeps snakes! For starters using warm blooded animals as pointed out is a pointless exercise, when surface lures are available and secondly if i saw you using frogs for live bait id stick as many trebles as i could into your body and boot you into the water, after stoving in your head of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, they are protected you plankton. its folk like you that are nothing but scummy, retarded personifications of what devinchi describes as mere passages for food.

why the sodding hell do you subscribe to this sport anyway, have you baited all the badgers around you or are you part of some government scheme to get aresholes outdoors? :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Guest kingfisher
king fisher, i have to say your off your rocker! what a moronic attitude, although i suppose its to be expected from someone that keeps snakes! For starters using warm blooded animals as pointed out is a pointless exercise, when surface lures are available and secondly if i saw you using frogs for live bait id stick as many trebles as i could into your body and boot you into the water, after stoving in your head of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, they are protected you plankton. its folk like you that are nothing but scummy, retarded personifications of what devinchi describes as mere passages for food.

why the sodding hell do you subscribe to this sport anyway, have you baited all the badgers around you or are you part of some government scheme to get aresholes outdoors? :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Ha bloody ha.

Now that's just the sort of reply we want, very childish attitude.

I was only asking a question.

If you heard some one say something in the pub that you didn't like would you go and fight with him because he asked a question?

:huh:

Edited by kingfisher