Live baiting question?

Guest kingfisher

Hmmmmm!

Might make an interesting test case of clause 53 of the Animal Welfare Bill

53 Fishing

Nothing in this Act applies in relation to anything which occurs in the normal course of fishing.

I doubt whether the courts would agree that using a mammal as live-bait would constitute 'anything which occurs in the normal course of fishing' and I expect that there would be a huge number of 'angling experts' happy to line up as expert witnesses to say that the practice as far as most modern anglers are concerned is a completely abnormal practice.

So, only try it if you fancy a stretch in prison and a substantive fine is my advice!

(not to mention being a life long target for extremist action following the publicity)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe - nice to see you posting again. Over the years you've had a way of getting some lively discussions going.

All - I do mostly artificials but since there are times when fish want a specific size of artifical mouse on the surface and I have fished one place where you either used live frogs (caught in ditches near the river) or blanked, I am pretty confident that some of them make good baits.

As to the practice of using them or not, that's a personal matter for each angler. However, I do wonder about any angler who talks about a legal bait and in essence says, "Well, I don't like to use that as a bait so no one else should be allowed to do so either". It somehow brings to mind the current furor over cartoons.

Newt, this issue cannot be open to debate, it is not up to the individual as to wether he can or cannot use a live mammal or amphibian? as bait. We as anglers surely abide by a moral code either self imposed or enforced by law. There is a huge distinction in using a fish or mammal as bait, I will not patronise you by explaining. If you think that that practice might be acceptable in the States, I can assure you Newt that it is NOT and would not ever be over here.

why is livebaiting with fish cruel josh? that leads me to believe that you think fish can feel pain

It HIS opinion thats why. I can hear the call for the cavalry already

Edited by rabbit

Precisely Jeepster! Josh please take the time and trouble to read the Rose report highlighted on here earlier today, it will help you understand why fish react the way they do when hooked, but I can assure you it is not because they are in pain.

A mammal is capable of feeling pain , and there ,for me at least. is the distinction.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Precisely Jeepster! Josh please take the time and trouble to read the Rose report highlighted on here earlier today, it will help you understand why fish react the way they do when hooked, but I can assure you it is not because they are in pain.

A mammal is capable of feeling pain , and there ,for me at least. is the distinction.

Bob, he and I and anyone else could read it but but still livebaiting would not be acceptable to many, I am not knocking the practice, just my opinion. I am pleased you see the distinction between fish and mammals with regard to pain, just wish some of the more 'senior' members here did as well .

Edited by rabbit

It beggars belief that any of you are even debating this sort of outrageous suggestion. What's the betting this thread ends up as a quote on the PETA site? IMO the moderators should have removed this rot on first seeing it.

Poor form AN! :angry:

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Guest Josh Iddon

I just think its cruel to leave a fish on the hook for extended periods of time, but to be honest I think its cruel because I think its cruel, you cant pick your opinions.

EDIT> I would also like to say that I have no problems with people that livebait and slodger I am sorry becuse I agree with you and have posted similar comments on other sites but I just felt that Live baiting with mice is not for me!!

Edited by Josh Iddon