Severe Cramp!

Spur-Hound

Hi folks,

Had a niggling pain over the coarse of the wekend in my left leg (whats that musscle behind ones shin???) It is throbbing mainly in one place but sends a pain down my foot and knee aswell.

I used to get similar 'growing pains' when i was young, im guessing im having a late teenage dose of growing pains....

Ive taken paracetamol, does anyone know other ways to sooth cramp???

Methods wuld be helpfull cos at the mo' its really sore, near agonising, and begining to be a pain in the arse!!!

Shaun :)

Whole weekend in the car fishing probably didnt help :)

Tight Lines

Shaun

Had this problem before Shaun, used to get it all the time when I played football.

Asked our very own NurseJudy and she give me this reply (hope you don't mind me passing the info on Judith)

Hi Dan

My husband frequently gets this problem he found this site useful

www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068794/

i also bought him some Crampex tabs which helped,perhaps you could try taking one before you play,then main content of them is calcium...soo my hubby decided to increase his calcium intake which seems to have helped....or try drinking tonic water its got small doses of Quinine in it ..the doc can give you Quinine tabs if its really bad.

hope this helps

judith

Edited by Norfolkdan

Dan

probably just DVT from too much sitting ;) ,paracetamol works (on some people) for pain but asprin is better to dislodge any nasty blockages and get them into the brain or lung ;) ,i have had a varicose vein last year (VERY painfull and still annoying) the doc warned me to keep an eye out for cramps or numbness in the limb.i changed my chair which has improved it ten fold.

worth a trip to the doc even if he finds nothing

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Your description doesn't sound much like cramp to me Spurhound.

I'd suggest you look at your driving position.

If it is cramp, then you need more salt in your diet.

I suffer severe cramp both in my calve muscles and my thigh muscles.

So severe at times I have fainted with the pain. It's hell if you get cramp in both legs

After a severe bout of cramp the muscles affected feel as if I've had a hot knife stuck in them and it stays like this for days.

I take [when I remember, I'm getting old] prescribed Quinine Sulphate tablets. These are pretty effective as is upping your salt intake, just be careful how much salt you take.

Get along to your doctor and get the correct diagnosis first.

Colin

Sounds like i need to open the clinic :sun:

Spur Hound

Have you any redness/heat /swelling in the calf area? is it painful when you stand/walk if so then get it checked out see your GP/Nurse Practioner

This is the number for NHS Direct available 24hours a Day 08454647

Milk is a good source of calcium....also on the site Norfolk Dan posted there are some stretches to do each day ..which are good....beware taking a lot of asprin unless its prescribed for you

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

probably just DVT from too much sitting ;) ,paracetamol works (on some people) for pain but asprin is better to dislodge any nasty blockages and get them into the brain or lung ;) ,i have had a varicose vein last year (VERY painfull and still annoying) the doc warned me to keep an eye out for cramps or numbness in the limb.i changed my chair which has improved it ten fold.

worth a trip to the doc even if he finds nothing

Don't think you have escaped nursey's attention either!!!!

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Drink some Tonic water, it must have Quinine in it. Schweppes is the best. The Quinine will take the cramp away in a coule in minutes.

Yep. Gin and tonic is a good cure for cramp - the ingredients are synergistic, the quinine helps the cramp, and the gin helps you forget the cramp :blink:

To be a bit more serious, I would be surprised if the cause is salt deficiency, given the way most food manufacturers sneak salt (and sugar, but that's another issue) into as many products as possible to make them more palatable. Most people have too much salt in their diet already.

The most immediate way to relieve cramp is to bend your foot up towards the knee - look at how the physio , and other players, treat cramp on the football field. Conversely, the movement that is most likely to produce cramp in the calf is to point your toes like a ballet dancer (that's why swimmers get cramp)

I suffer the occasional cramp, and have found the above applies. It can be excruciating for a few minutes though, and the muscle aches for a day or two afterwards.

...but as ajay says. your symptoms Shaun, don't sound too much like cramp, more like some sort of nerve pinch (I've had those too) so get your doc to check it out.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...