Bits and bobs First Pike

FisherManDan50

Why not Andy?

low oxygen in water brought on by high temperatures equals one really knackered pike that can end up dead. Theres other science'y related stuff that i cant quite answer correctly.

Although i dont think you really needed me to answer that.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

The summer/pike thing is a massive generalization, while I wouldn't go fishing for pike in warm, stagnant ponds in the summer I've never had any issues with fishing for them on the rivers with the appropriate equipment. I suppose a lot depends on where you are fishing, I tend to leave the trout ressies alone in the summer due to the amount of weed and, as you say, low oxygen levels.

• Like 1

Ever tried moving a summer barbel, a trout, a salmon, ............ Far in a wet sack Andy? Don't think even think carp would do that well from it in hot weather.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I find summer the best time for pikeing, they are much more active and lures get far better results than in the colder months. So long as care is taken when handling the fish and they arn't lifted out of the water straight after being reeled in there won't / shouldn't be any problem.

As Brian says they're only at the same risk as most other species.

Lure fishing for pike in the summer offers some of the most explosive, exciting fishing you'll some across all year. Using the right equipment (decent rods with 40/50lb braid and good quality leader) and using some common sense the problems/issues are pretty minimal, no more so than fishing in the winter months with deadbaits really.

Well done on your first pike.

I know you can get excited by your first especially such impressive fish as pike.

It is very important at this time of year with low oxygen levels in the water to handle pike very carefully and quickly.

They are quite easily played to exhaustion and frequently do not recover. Many waters even have a closed season for pike between April and October.

This is not a winge just a little advice on your new piking adventure.