What Angling Times wrote...

Bob Bradford

Is there a way of listening to that online, do you know? I wouldn't mind hearing that, but will probably be in the land of nod after a long day tomorrow.

Yes Elton there is! just type talk sport into Google, regards Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not my post or comments, just thought some of you might be interested;

"The proposal written on the petition are the words of Keith Arthur who was requested to formulate a proposal by Richard Lee [editor, Angling Times] following a conversation between myself and Keith about his original proposal which, for various reasons, I personally disageed with. Once Keith had explained his proposal in more detail I could then understand exactly what his motives were but I suggested that a better option would be for Angling Times to launch a campaign at the Go Fshing show next week where everybody could sign a petition asking for action to be taken over the ever-increasing problem of fish thefts. Having kick-started the campaign with a massive audience [many of whom don't buy angling magazines or visit angling websites] at the show, the campaign could then be taken 'National' by sending out copies of the petition to clubs, shops and fisheries, thus ensuring the best possible coverage.

Keith in turn forwarded my suggestions to Richard Lee and we now have the start of the campaign which is not asking anyone to stop fishing or boycott licence sales [for the time being at least!]. Given the general apathy amongst anglers the campaign may or may not prove to be successful enough to have no need for further action in the future, but there are still further actions such as boycotts that could be implemented if needs be in the future.

To clarify another point, an earlier poster made comments about FACT and the FWG being party to the EA issuing multi-lingual posters explaining local byelaws. Such posters have been around for several years now and cannot be counted as a success for either FACT ot the FWG who didn't even exist when these posters first appeared on the riverbanks - petty politicking is one of the major problems within angling which keeps us disjointed, the sooner we join together as one the sooner we will be heard in the corridors of power.

At the end of the day we are all ANGLERS so forget all the splinter groups and please, just for once, join together as one to support this campaign.

Another poster asked if there was actually any evidence of these thefts taking place. An example of the type of thefts we're talking about is the case of a club turning up for a match on the Thames recently and two persons of foreign origin were just leaving with several carrier bags which happened to be moving! It took a lady member of the club to be brave enough to challenge the two and 20 [yes 20!] fully-grown Bream were discovered in these bags. The lady angler then contacted both the EA and local police and even blocked the exit of the car park with her car until the police arrived. Having explained the byelaws to the police and much umming an arrghing on their part, it was only the continued insistence of this lady that they eventually were charged and duly carted of to the station. The case will be heard shortly, presuming of course that these two people actually turn up on the day or actually live at whatever address they gave! This is by no means an isolated case either as locally [and Woody can confirm this as well] we've had groups of Eastern Europeans stealing nets from a local tennis club and using them to trawl the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal! How many more examples do people need to hear before they accept that there is a problem?"

The petition is gaining momentum and proves more and more anglers ARE trying to stop fish thefts and ARE conservationists,regards Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]