Bob Bradford

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I kind of agree with Gozzer.

Yes Im sure some "immigrants" ........."

Great posting Budgie!

I'm not sure from the text whether Keith is advocating a complete ban on removal of coarse fish for the table, or whether we are talking about a sensible size and number limit being imposed. I'm all for the second option, but would fight against the first with all the effort I could muster.

In my opinion it is of absolutely paramount importance that we retain the right to 'fish for the pot'. In fact I think it is key to the whole sustainability of angling, particularly with regard to the vast majority of the non fishing public's perception of us.

I also feel the immigrant problem, though very real in pockets of the country, is somewhat over exaggerated at times, and concern about it definitely seems to pander to the views of some of the nastier element of the British populus. As Budgie has intimated, I believe it could well proove to be a very real 'Achille's heel' for angling.

Sensible legislation around size and bag limits would give the EA a vehicle with which to clamp down on abuse of the resources of our water ways. I for one don't wish to see such legislation forged with homage being payed to the kind of 'enemy within' jingoism that appears to be prevaling at present.

Edited by slodger

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

1) BoB, an 8" roach/dace could be breeding stock....would we then not be allowed to use them for bait any more ?

2) You may not have racist views, but some of what has been printed in the AT verges towards it as we read again and again about "immegrants" taking fish.....only in recent times an ex editor of the same AT was cought red handed taking zander on set lines. Or don't predators count ?

Ive not realy been drawn into the racism/discrimination thing but christ we would have a hard job convincing people that wasnt the motive!Just look at it-

Poor imigrant/assylum seeker catchs a fish and takes it home to eat unaware of the fact that even though its legal it goes against our custom and he is crucified.

Dodering old white English fool,who used to be proffesionaly involved in angling decides to set out on a one man mission to remove predators which in HIS veiw are a problem,these which he is reputed to have sold for financial gain.Not only is he let off but an Angling publication gives a prize for rubbing our noses in it............

And we talk about angling unity and priorities? give me a break.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think that we should expect better, Budgie, and both publications are capable of it. Neither weekly, in my humble opinion, is worth wasting cash on now. I say that with regret because I always looked forward to my weekly dose of angling news.

Too right Peter.I miss being able to read either of them without getting wound up.Have they got it wrong though or is it simply that we are out of line with todays thinking?

As comercial enterprises they must surely be giving what either the masses want or what they percieve they want?

Do you know what,Im sure people must be as sick of my moaning about angling today as I am with constantly moaning! I would love to be able to pick up any of the fishing mags and be able to praise them.Honestly!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

"I have listened to him arguing with quite polite and inoffensive non-anglers on his programme, when he became so personally abusive that I ended up siding with the non anglers!"

Well! That sort of logic cannot be argued with! so even if Keith is 100% correct ,you will take the opposing stance?

No small wonder Angling is so poorly represented in this Country when your fellow anglers have to rely on logic like that!

:huh:

Bob Bradford - are you really a pseudonym for Keith Arthur? If you can't see the logic in what I was saying, then you obviously haven't listened to KA in full, frothing-at-the-mouth mode. There are a surprising numbers of non-anglers (not necessarily antis but possibly insomniacs) who listen to his programme and who occasionally phone in, quite politely, with perfectly reasonable questions that do at least deserve a polite answer. I heard one of these when the person phoning in was merely curious, but Keith hot head Arthur proceeded to rant and rave at them in an offensive manner that called for the urgent attention of the men with straitjackets. Any impartial listers would have been stunned by the man's complete inability to tolerate even the mildest criticism or deviation from his own, self formulated views on morality. Put him up against PETA in a live debate and it would be a disaster (and having seen some of the loonies who represent PETA that is quite an achievement).

By all means let him commentate on the latest news from the World Championships or the best method of firing baby bluebottles at a pole float, but for god's sake (whichever one takes your fancy) don't let him anywhere near a political debate. Leave that to his chum Martin Salter, who is infinitely more skilled in that direction.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.