Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

I can't view ebay at work but did find this cheapo one from Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Finder-Sensor-Transducer-Fishfinder/dp/B007FC5R72/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1406637237&sr=8-5&keywords=fishfinders+for+boats

It gets poor reviews, both for accurate depth measurement and for the [irrelevant] fish finding capability but provided it's consistently inaccurate I don’t think it matters too much. If the readout says the water’s 50 yards deep and you’re catching fish what does it matter if the device is 10 yards out? Just keep looking for 50 yards depth on the readout.

Unlike the rod which will also be used for spinning this will get few outings, I want to use one to give me the edge over JV44 but don’t want to spend too much.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Budgie, that's good, thanks. That's 2 between us.

Rusty I haven't used one of those but my gut feeling is that it's going to be a lot better than nothing, and at £25 it's worth a punt. It looks like there will probably be 4 boats with 2 people in each boat. So something like that would be useful I think, unless anyone already has smartcasts?

It's also looking like it will also need to be a weekday rather than a weekend. I think maybe the thing to do is book 2 separate days a week or 2 weeks apart so that we have insurance against bad weather, and then if the first day is OK we can decide to keep the other day for anyone who fancies a return visit. And if the first day has to be cancelled because of bad weather, we have a back-up.

Sound OK?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I can't view ebay at work but did find this cheapo one from Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Finder-Sensor-Transducer-Fishfinder/dp/B007FC5R72/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1406637237&sr=8-5&keywords=fishfinders+for+boats

It gets poor reviews, both for accurate depth measurement and for the [irrelevant] fish finding capability but provided it's consistently inaccurate I don’t think it matters too much. If the readout says the water’s 50 yards deep and you’re catching fish what does it matter if the device is 10 yards out? Just keep looking for 50 yards depth on the readout.

Unlike the rod which will also be used for spinning this will get few outings, I want to use one to give me the edge over JV44 but don’t want to spend too much.

You realise this means war my friend many of my old fishing buddys have updated there finders many times so a few phone calls may see me with a decent unit to borrow ...not sharing a boat with you mate Blenheim palace was enough....unless of course you are bringing some of Waitrose finest in which case you are welcome to bark orders like stroke stroke put yer back into it you lazy landlubbers yee .

After the first week of October would be better for me when I can do any day week or weekend .

Just to p*&s Rusty off we are staying on the boat tonight beautifull part of the Thames a bit of yak lure fishing and halibut attack for the bream is on the cards along with nice grub and cold larger nah nah

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

You realise this means war my friend many of my old fishing buddys have updated there finders many times so a few phone calls may see me with a decent unit to borrow ...

Mine's on it's way so you'd better start making calls, the technological race is on :bleh:

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

JV, do you reckon you'll be able to borrow a fishfinder?

Anderoo to be honest I need one for the kayak so may buy a base model garmin [small screen problem//] or the like which I can then mount on the yak afterwards ,which one did you get out of interest??

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Ok cool. I got a basic humminbird (from memory a piranhamax 165) which is greyscale and dual beam. It came with the transom mount for the transducer so I also got a suction cup mount for it so I can stick it to the side of hire boats and make it portable. Or you can get an arm for them that clamps to the side of boats. The suction cup is pretty good but often comes loose when motoring at speed, but it's not really a problem. A better place to stick it is at the back next to the outboard but the Anglian water boats don't have a suitable surface there.

I got a heavy duty plastic box with a clip on lid to house the battery and screwed the unit base to the top of it, so the fishfinder itself sits on top. All nice and portable. Because it's a basic model it barely uses any power.

Edit: it's the 160 dual beam, I paid about £80 for it

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

With transducers you can "shoot" through most fibreglass hulls. Just make sure the transducer is sat in water In the bottom of the boat.

Does that really work budgie? I've heard of it, never tried it though.