Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

Hey Rusty,

I can't remember when it opens (its around 7:30 or 8am) but it is a really early start from round here! It is also a long tiring day so I can see the value in both options! Don't forget if the wind is too brisk we may need to cancel so make sure any hotels rooms can be cancelled!

I would expect we will want to meet there a little earlier to split into the boats and to discuss tactics. I have been meaning to post something along these lines but the "bites" are quite unusual and take a little getting used to. If you do normal jigging expecting the fish to hit the lure hard or to hook themselves you'll catch very few.

The bites / takes are often light taps similar to perch nipping the tail of a lure. They are also often "lift bites" (for want of a better description) whereby the fish takes the lure and moves up in the water. This is where it is crucial to be in contact with the lure at all times (hence the importance of the rod, light braid, correct jig head weight etc). In essence if you feel anything at all you should strike and strike hard! Hopefully after a while you will enter a zen like zone not being able to explain why you struck whilst laughing like a crazy person landing yet another zander. It is very hard to explain but the feeling of the takes are electric and the fishing highly addictive!

Rich

• Like 1

Time booked off work so just need to sort accommodation. I’m wondering whether it would be better to stay over the night before and have a relaxed start to the day or to reflect on my PB double figure zander over beer/dinner after the event.

It’ll get light at about 7:30am at that time of year so I guess we won’t be fishing before then?

I suggest both Rusty - to reflect on your PB jig-caught bream!

Serious rod research is underway, I’ve just had a lengthy chat with a guy at The Friendly Fisherman who’s been fishing Rutland/Grafham for the past four years.

Despite it being rated at only 15g casting weight he’s adamant that the St Croix ECS63MXF rod would be perfect for deep water jigging 30-40g jig heads and would also be a good spinning rod if used within its rating;

http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17810/product27178/ST-CROIX-EYECON-SPIN.html

He also has the Savage Gear vertical XLNT 30g @ £69.99 and rates it as a good starting point but says the St Croix is much better in terms of action and feel and the SG wouldn’t be as good for spinning.

I’m happy to pay more if the St Croix is really two rods in one, what do you think?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi Rusty,

I have the savage gear one, you are welcome to have a look at it / borrow it on or before the 8th! I really like the rod, it is feather light, but I find the tip a touch too soft for jig heads >30g. For this reason I have just ordered the Fox VJig vertical power rod (its the same price as the St Croix), no idea what it is like yet:

http://www.foxrage.com/product.php?section=27&product=145&catalogue=5

I'm planning to use both of my rods depending on the winds etc etc

I'm sure the St Croix is a good rod (they make great rods I hear) but I have no idea to how good it would be for spinning etc!

the Fox Ultron rods would be worth a look too:

http://www.foxrage.com/product.php?section=28&product=173&catalogue=5

They are about the same price as the Savage Gear one.

Rich

Accommodation sorted, Steve & I have decided to stay over after the event. I think we can tolerate the early doors start but won’t be able to face the 2½ hour drive back after spending the day on a reservoir (especially if either one of us has blanked!).

We’re staying in Oakham here;

http://www.wisteriahotel.co.uk/

A single room is £55.00 if you phone directly and book, cancellation notice required is two days. We’ve booked rooms for the 8th and the 24th. I’ve explained that we’re travelling up for a fishing trip and that one of the dates will be cancelled, possibly both if we're unlucky with the weather, the lady I spoke to was ok with that.

If anyone else wants to join us it would be good to have a social after the event.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Andy at the FF really knows his stuff, you probably couldn't have talked to a better person. I still find it hard to understand these rods properly, the action is all important and the casting weight can often be a red herring, as you're not casting.

As Rich says, the fox rods are worth a look too. Of the two mentioned (st croix and SG) I would expect the St croix to be the better rod despite the low casting weight. I've never seen an eyecon but the whole range is very well regarded.

I got a new rod for this autumn (a spro rod) which has a much higher casting weight than my current fox rod - 20-45g instead of 7-24g. However the 'lighter' fox rod is still stiffer overall especially at the tip, whereas the 'heavier' spro rod is slightly more delicate at the tip but is tippier in action and less through actioned. It's also a bit lighter and better balanced. I haven't used it yet though so I don't know if it'll be any better or worse than the fox one. It's all quite complex, not helped by having to buy blind.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I should have said, I've used 50g jig heads in windy weather with the 7-24g Fox rod, and it handled it fine. I suspect the Ultron rods are based on the same blanks as my old discontinued one (v-jig) so I think they would be a safe bet.

A few other things you'll need:

- something comfortable to sit on

- waterproofs

- sun block if you burn easily (yes even in Oct if it's sunny - no shelter in a boat!)

- plenty of water and food

- at least 1 drogue per boat (I have 1 I can lend out)

- ideally 1 fishfinder/similar per boat

- unhooking tools e.g. long nosed pliers

Not stricly necessary but useful

- H block markers with 100ft of cord and 10oz of weight, so you can mark the start of drifts/concentrations of fish (worth writing your name on them and 'please ndo not move' as the windsurfers and boaters often pick them up and helpfully bring them back to you :rolleyes: )

I think Rusty's idea of a post-event meal/drink/catch-up somewhere is a good one - let's try to find somewhere for that :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,

Following this thread because I think it would be fun. In many respects it is what the AN forum should be about.

However, I can't come - - - - I have NO IDEA what a "drogue" is.

Phone

Anderoo,

Following this thread because I think it would be fun. In many respects it is what the AN forum should be about.

However, I can't come - - - - I have NO IDEA what a "drogue" is.

Phone

It's a drogue 'chute Phone, it's like a small parachute that's dropped in the water and slows the boat down if being pushed by the wind. Size and even number, can be changed to suit conditions.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/index.cfm/pageid/56/view/yes/editorialID/961

Andrew, to add to your 'must have' list. When I've fished from a small boat, we always took a bucket in case of an emergency bodily function. Not strictly a 'must have' but useful, and can save embarrassment.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John