Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

Are those the owner stinger trebles Steve? They're very good if so, worth the money!

I've been putting new braid on one reel, it's 8.8lb fox jig silk and very thin. However it's so thin it's very hard to work with, I'm finding that even palomars and uni knots are slipping, and Albright knots are cutting through the flouro! I think I have the rod set up now ok by doubling it up and doing a 10 turn down and then 10 turns back up Albright... Won't know if it's really worked til wed though...!

I've left the standard 10lb PP on both reels I'm lending out, that stuff is solid as a rock and totally trustworthy.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

They are indeed, and my fingers can vouch for their sharpness!

I'm undecided whether to use the line that's on the reel. It's 9lb 0.08mm Ron Thompson stuff in bright yellow that I've been using for dropshotting and seems perfectly acceptable. I would probably reverse it and use the fresh end. Or I could put a fresh spool of it on. Or I could go for some 0.1mm grey Preston Braidcast. Probably better with the thinner stuff, I guess.

I'd go with the thinner yellow stuff personally Steve. The thinner the braid, the less weight you need to keep vertical, and the easier the lure control is. (There is a limit though, too thin and fragile is no good!) But 9lb sounds ideal.

The yellow really helps too. Being able to easily see the line from rod tip to water helps more than you might think.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Personal preference again really, I much prefer tying the leader to the braid for 2 reasons - 1 there's no weight bouncing around above the lure, allowing you to keep in touch with it a bit better, and 2 you can reel the knot into the rings without causing damage. I've heard of several people knackering their tip ring by accidentally reeling a swivel into it.

An Albright knot is a good solid way of tying them together, and the knot is very small and tidy.

Yeah, that's what I use for dropshotting, for the same reasons, but Andy suggested the swivels and put some in my pack. I thought I'd have them anyway, I use a lot of them for other things so they won't go to waste either way.

Yes some people prefer swivels. You will get a higher knot strength using a swivel. I did used to use them, a little tip if you do is to put a little bit of cut down anti tangle sleeve above it just in case you do reel it into the tip ring :)

I think his rationale was that he doesn't use a snap swivel at the other end, so changing lures nibbles away at the leader, making it more desirable to be able to stick a new leader on easily. The tapered fly leader problem again!

How long a leader do you use?