Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

Here's wishing a good trip, and decent weather for you all.

Looking forward to a good write up, and plenty of pics.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

JV44, Steve W and I are just about to retire having had a very enjoyable dinner, excellent beer & wine and a rather nice cognac.

See you all tomorrow.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Good luck tomorrow everyone. Will look forward to reading the catch reports. Gutted I can't go.

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

So, didn't anyone make it back alive?

The weather must have been worse than expected.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Well the weather was a little challenging at times but overall better than I was expecting, the rain came in short heavy bursts accompanied by strong winds but overall it was dry and not too windy, at least in the first half of the day.

I think everyone caught(?), and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves :)

Vagabond and Norma, and Steve Walker and Rob Ward drifting over an area with fish:

IMG_2426_zps95e8b92a.jpg

Tigger and I were sharing a boat, and had several zander between us from a couple of different areas. Tigger had the biggest fish, a very nice zander of 5lb+ (the photo doesn't really do it justice, but it was a proper one!):

IMG_2431_zps87a6e617.jpg

IMG_2432_zpsb3066918.jpg

No need for a stinger for that one!

IMG_2439_zps46d7e7e2.png

Double hook-up for Tigger and Steve Walker:

IMG_2428_zps9dfbba28.jpg

If onl;y we had more lures (and hats) to choose from...

IMG_2427_zps5473dcd9.jpg

Big storm approacing, time to secure the waterproofs...!

IMG_2436_zpsbaa8c981.jpg

IMG_2437_zps5bcd228d.jpg

IMG_2434_zps7efefe75.jpg

The day ended with some biblical rain that was so heavy it hurt and winds so strong I actually started to wonder if we were going to make it back alive, so we left 'refreshed and exhilarated' :D

Thanks to everyone for coming, and to Alex for helping out and Rich for lending some tackle even though he couldn't make it, and Tigger for the good company. If people enjoyed it it shouldn't be difficult to make it a regular event :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Brilliant time Anderoo - a big thanks to you for putting all this together. And your pics have come out well - Tigger's fish looks a strong contender for the trophy. I'll load mine up when I can get my phone to work - 57cm fish.

Just a heads up that Rusty may be trying to claim a larger fish, but despite his protestations over a curry and several Cobras, neither he nor Steve could provide ANY evidence that it existed at all or was even measured. Under rule 22b, all claims to the AN Zander trophy must be supported by a reliable witness (JV44?) and measured on an officially calibrated rule.

I suggest we would need to seek guidance on whether "2 knot marks on the thwart" constitute proper calibration under rule 22b.

Big thanks to Alex for making my life so easy on the water, and it was really nice to have an albeit too brief a social over a curry with Steve x2, Rusty, Vagabond and Norma!

If its not too much trouble, a regular event would be brilliant and I would be up for a repeat.

M

Cheers Matthew, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

However as we all know, JV44 is NOT a reliable witness; and I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that sneaking off early for a curry when you could be fishing nullifies any claim to a trophy ;)

Edit - I'm not sure the fish in my pics was Tigger's biggest now I think about it, I may have taken photos of that one on his camera. Can't remember now, hopefully he can!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had an absolutely brilliant time yesterday, thanks to Andrew for organising it.

I can confirm everyone caught a Zander so it should be considered a 'reel' success <cringing at that pun>.

I definitely plan to go back, it's just really good fun and a nice change.

It was great to see some of the old faces again and also meet some new ones, it got me thinking about trying to arrange a Ribble fish in again towards the tail end of the river season. Hopefully with more success than last time!

• Like 1

First off...what a great day !!

Thank's Rob for the lift down to the venuue :).

Thank's to Andrew for organising a very enjoyable day out, and i'm confident in saying that everyone enjoyed it.

It was nice to meet some forum members again and to meet some new ones.

Andrew...here's the pic you took with my camera ...

oct8zander1closer.jpg

oct8zanderclose.jpg

The one you put up was deffo the larger of the two.

• Like 1