Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

Rods arrived and all the bits and bobs taking yak out tomorrow for a practice

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'm not quite sure how to say this but,

I thought I ought to make you aware of the potential legal implications of zander fishing and releasing them back into the water. To my knowledge there haven't been any prosecutions yet but it is something that is waiting for a precedent. When you consider that grey squirrels are also in Schedule 9 you may realise the possible implications. Meaning, if a grey squirrel is trapped it is a criminal offence to release that animal again unless you possess a licence to do so and the animal should be humanely killed.

I have linked and cut and pasted the relevant info below, note that Wels are also on the list (I only put the two more likely species to be caught)

It is my understanding that this law overrides Anglian Water's byelaws on C+R.

Source: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/contents

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

14 Introduction of new species etc.

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows to escape into the wild any animal which—

(a)is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state; or

(is a hybrid of any animal of that kind,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

(1A)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows to escape from captivity any animal which is—

(a)included in Part I of Schedule 9; or

(a hybrid of any animal included in that Part,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

SCHEDULE 9
Animals and plants to which section 14 applies

Part I Animals which are established in the wild

Wels (otherwise known as European catfish) Silurus glanis
Zander Stizostedion lucioperca

Edited by Worms
  • Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Sorry Phone,

that's your North American Yellow Walleye, ours is the Zander or Pike-perch, Stizostedion lucioperca

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Either way I think we'll be ok...

I'm sure you will but, it is something that one might wish to consider regarding posting photographs of fish being released and possibly mentioning fish being released on public internet sites :shutup:

Either way I think we'll be ok...

If i'm lucky enough to catch one then I'm gonn'a wear one of these......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SKULL-FACE-MASK-SCULL-BANDANA-MOTORCYCLE-SNOWBOARDS-/231344914445?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item35dd3b400d..... so I can't be recognised :).

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1