Bluing or bronzing ferrules / High Bells Rings?

Peter Waller

My 'How to make rods' tells me how, but where on earth can I get the ingredients nowadays? My local chemist looked at me blankley when I asked. And where can I buy High Bells rings? They used to come on cards from every proper tackle shop in years gone by. Your help & advice will be appreciated.

Peter, you can still get what I would call high bell rings from Hopkins & Holloway if thats this kind of ring, I have rewhipped many cane rods using older style rings and have never had a problem getting them from tackle shops.

I don't know any tackle shops that stock them in Norfolk but my local shop Simpsons of Turnford have them in stock, also Jack Simpson is a master rod builder who has reblued a few ferrules for me in the past, give them a call they may be able to help, if they have what you want I could always be the go between....

Tel: 01992 468 799

Or woodys of wembley are another stockist of that type of rod ring Tel: 0208 902 7217, they are a very good tackle shop.

If you fail let me know as I have some new and old chrome and stainless steel rod rings that could be of use to you Peter.

As far as I know there is something you can get to re blue a ferrule, can't remember where I saw it but sure it exists.

Hopkins & Holloway rings1

Hopkins & Holloway rings2

Paul

Bronzing brass fittings.

Remove from rod, clean thoroughly with fine emery paper

Then brush with following solution, kept hot

Lead Acetate 25g

Sodium Thiosulphate 50g

Water to one litre

As a photographer nearly as old as me you should have some thio kicking about in the shed from black and white days!

Lead acetate - more difficult to get, but try the internet.

Dick Walker used to use an arsenic and cyanide mixture, but these days nanny will say no :angry:

...or you could experiment with copper sulphate and hydrochloric acid - sort of copper plate them.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Peter,

The product you need is a cold blueing gel sold by gunshops. If you try a google search and there are a large number of suppliers.

The best I have used is made by Phillips but Abbey is OK too. From memory Sandwell Field Sports stocked the Phillips product.

To ge the best result make sure the parts are well polished and another tip is to soak the parts in oil after blueing for a while as it make the finish deeper - dont try and polish it up right away either of you will buff it off.

Cheers

Steve

there are loads of cold blueing pastes/solutions available,

If it is steel you want to blue first you need to clean the metal

a dip in hot sodium hydroxide followed by a rinse off in distilled water, then a dip in hot hydrochloric acid followed by a rinse in hot distilled water should do the trick ,then for the best blueing a dip in molten salt peter (potassium nitrate) you will need containers capable of withstanding heats of upto about 400degrees..

If its brass you want to blue then there are also pastes etc available but make sure they are suitable for brass they are becoming harder to come by nowadays but the best and most permanent method is the traditional heat method first polish the metal clean using varying grades of emery folowed by using diamate powder in oil, then bury the part in either sand or salt and heat the sand until the part blues to the degree you want, then quench in oil.