wireless/tisculi broadband

deanbmw

just been trying to setup my mates new wireless. but the modem hes got has only a usb port and the conneting lead is earthennet the router has loads of enet ports but now usb...do ya follow my drift.

would he be able to get a cable to combat this, or would tisc send him another modem.

any ideas :thumbs:

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Dean

Not sure I am entirely following you, but here goes.

Your frriend already has a USB Modem, and has now acquired a wireless router to add wireless capabilities to his network? Is the Router a Broadband wireless router? If so it replaces the existing modem. If not then I would suggest seeing if you can take the wireless router back to where ever it was bought from and getting hold of an appropriate wireless / broadband router.

Is Tiscali an ADSL or Cable broadband provider? Whichever make sure you get the right router.

I would very much doubt that tiscali are going supply a new Modem free of charge.

As far as I am aware there is no rj45/USB cable adapter.

Hi Dean

Not sure I am entirely following you, but here goes.

Your frriend already has a USB Modem, and has now acquired a wireless router to add wireless capabilities to his network? Is the Router a Broadband wireless router? If so it replaces the existing modem. If not then I would suggest seeing if you can take the wireless router back to where ever it was bought from and getting hold of an appropriate wireless / broadband router.

Is Tiscali an ADSL or Cable broadband provider? Whichever make sure you get the right router.

I would very much doubt that tiscali are going supply a new Modem free of charge.

As far as I am aware there is no rj45/USB cable adapter.

cheers nick its a adsl modem but on the router box its says for adsl/cable

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Then I think you will find that the router replaces the Modem, and then connect the PC to the router using either ethernet cable or wireless. You'll need to configure the router with the connection settings that your friend should have from the ISP for the modem. If the PC doesn't have an ethernet port, do yourself a favour and get a PCI ethernet card don't use a USB ethernet connector.