Tracking ip addresses..........

Slashley

Does anyone do this? Since renewing my Norton anti virus, I am getting a blocked virus alert message a several times a night, always from the same ip address. Looked at Google and found some tracking programmes. I did have a go on one of the more strightforward ones and it came up with the result which was that the address was in UK and it also mentioned ???Local Registry. Any information appreciated.

Another thing that I believe you can do is block any given ip address. Any tips appreciated.

Edited by Slashley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virus name?

IP address?

Been using Sam Spade stuff for years. Great utilities. Good suggestion.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

IP Scrambler - I'm not even positive what one of those might be.

I have heard you can get a proxy server that allows settings to automatically change your IP address on a regular basis like every 4 hours or every day or something similar. Not seen one in use but have no doubts such a thing is possible. In that case, I'd have to say that I would certainly not spot the user behind the different addresses.

Since you can easily accomplish the same thing by disconnecting and then after a short wait, reconnecting with dial-up or after waiting long enough for your IP lease to expire with broadband (usually a matter of hours with most ISPs) the same effect can be had for no money.

In my case at work (where I am now) my assigned IP address is 172.29.14.114 but outside of our corporate network it would be useless information for anyone and will never be seen. I'll display the IP of the proxy server I'm using to hit the net and since we have 11 available, I could easily change. Even that addresss wouldn't do much good though since there will usually be several hundred of us using it at any one time and all of us will display the same public address of the proxy server to any outside snooping.

If the basic question is, "can the forum mods spot a person signing up under a different IP and using a different user name", the answer is that we really cannot in most cases.

It really doesn't matter that much though since we only ban folks who persist in major troublemaking efforts when posting so if someone rejoins and is reasonable, they are welcome.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for that Ian; I will give it a whirl. Newt, I noticed last night that there are different ip addresses coming in now. I am at work at the moment but I will copy it down later with the virus names. With thanks. :)

IP Scrambler - I'm not even positive what one of those might be.

I have heard you can get a proxy server that allows settings to automatically change your IP address on a regular basis like every 4 hours or every day or something similar. Not seen one in use but have no doubts such a thing is possible. In that case, I'd have to say that I would certainly not spot the user behind the different addresses.

Its indeed easily done Newt.

Theres a program available which gathers a list of anonymous proxy servers from around the world and you can set it to change the IP`s at a set interval, anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours.

I`ll have to have a think what the program is called and I`ll post back when I think of it.

Guest NickInTheNorth
Its indeed easily done Newt.

Theres a program available which gathers a list of anonymous proxy servers from around the world and you can set it to change the IP`s at a set interval, anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours.

I`ll have to have a think what the program is called and I`ll post back when I think of it.

Anonymous Web Surfing 3.41 is one such, but there are a few out there.

Guest @Winter@

Thanks newt. That is of interest. Would you not be able to get the true ip address from the supplied email address or would that be scrambled too ?

Ian ??? Why the sigh ?

Edited by @Winter@