Tracking ip addresses..........

Slashley

without the help of the forwarder,, no it couldn't be traced, with the help of the forwarder, yes of course it could

though i can't see what that has to do with the rest of this thread?

Edited by jeepster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errr - since the thread started with a virus blocking issue and has morphed quite a bit, I think we could say that most of the thread doesn't have much to do with other parts of the thread but since his post is semi-related, my feeling is that it pretty well fits right in. Mostly. Sort of. Close enough for me anyway. I think.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

but since his post is semi-related, my feeling is that it pretty well fits right in. Mostly. Sort of. Close enough for me anyway. I think.

Newt, you have a great way with words!

Great weather eh?

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

without the help of the forwarder,, no it couldn't be traced, with the help of the forwarder, yes of course it could

Well i was thinking that if a mail did have a virus all the people it was forwarded to could trace the originator of it !! does that make sense !!! or am i straying of the thread again #!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Well i was thinking that if a mail did have a virus all the people it was forwarded to could trace the originator of it !! does that make sense !!!

It does make sense but unfortunately, it usually isn't possible.

One action that many of these viruses take as soon as they infect a PC is to set up a small mail server on that PC. After that is when they send lots of copies of the infection to others and the infected emails really do originate from that PC although the PC owner never notices because it is done silently and completely in the background.

Typical scene

I write a virus that is designed to infect a PC. It is told to

- set up a small mail server

- check the PC owner's email address book use an address it finds there in the From: line of the email and send copies of itself to everyone in the address book.

- eat the host PC

I send you an infected email and you are unprotected so you are infected.

- You send emails to everyone in your address book using Elton's email since is is in your address book.

- Many of them know Elton and trust the email so they open it and the ones who are unprotected become infected.

- Your PC is trashed by the virus after it has done it's work.

- Lots of people are really upset with Elton for trying to infect them.

- The folks who were actually infected aren't upset because they didn't notice anything and proceeded to send emails to all their contacts but using someone elses address in the From: line

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thank you Newt :D

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

No problem Andrew.

Prolly more than you wanted to know though. :D :D

IP Scrambler - I'm not even positive what one of those might be.

I have heard you can get a proxy server that allows settings to automatically change your IP address on a regular basis like every 4 hours or every day or something similar. Not seen one in use but have no doubts such a thing is possible. In that case, I'd have to say that I would certainly not spot the user behind the different addresses.

Something like this I guess Newt. http://www.steganos.com/?product=sia2006&language=en

There is a version on this months PC Pro DVD.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Although there are a few ways of spoofing your IP while on a network such as the internet there are always certain parts of yor computer that will always have the same identification mark. Such as your MAC (Media Access Control) Address. This is a mix of numbers and letters that are assigned to your network card, or your ADSL modem, or any device that communicates on a network. The MAC address can be modified with certain tools. Also there are things like your computer name, which can be changed easily. There are also other things such as your motherboard ID or serial number, which in some cases can be transmitted over a network, and to change these ID's would require a flash (rewrite) of your BIOS (Basic Input Output System).

So, even with an IP that changes every second via a proxy server, or if you change your MAC address and computer name each time, you will still need to flash your BIOS everytime, it can be done, but its a lot of hassle. If you are upto something you shouldntd be, then use someone elses computer, simple.

But remember if someone or something wants to track you then they will. Simple as that.

Cheers all

DoZZa

I know there was a batch of network cards that were produced with the same MAC address, but all the rest have different ones, I believe, and they can't be changed as far as I know.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net