Broadband probs/ dial tone

Excalibur

Has anyone had this prob, or know the cause/solution?

I went to broadband recently, and received a Speedtouch 330 Modem. Normally it is faultless, but now and again ( usually in daytime, and even while online ) the connection disappears, and the error message " no dial tone etc "appears. Is it my modem, BT's line or my service provider ( Wanadoo) ? I dimly remember a post once explaining about broadband modems needing a dial tone!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite possibly your broadband connection dropping. Whilst broadband doesn't have a dial tone as such, the typical configuration for a USB modem is to effectively 'dial' the internet usually using a blank or 0,38 as the phone number (representing the VPI/VCI settings).

However, if windows cannot make the initial connection (i.e. the adsl line is down or Wandoo are not responding) maybe it might give a no dialtone error....I suspect windows won't know the difference between the response from an ADSL modem and that from a 56K effort.

Check the ADSL light on the modem when this next happens. If it is lit, then the ADSL is at least trained and theoretically operational (although only to a certain extent). If the light is out, but your phone is still operational, then perhaps the ADSL side of your line is either faulty.

Ian W

One more thing though.

I had an Intel modem which on a Compaq I had would run perfectly until I connected my digital camera. Something I eventually put down to the USB port not being able to deliver enough power to run both (it was an old machine). If it happens again, check any external devices (printers, scanners, cameras - anything usb) disconnect them, and restart the machine.

If it works, then the problem may be resolved by buying a powered USB hub (i.e. one which requires a DC adaptor) and connecting your devices to the hub and then the hub to the computer.

Just an afterthought, but the Compaq I had was a dual PIII600 system, so if yours is in that sort of era (1999 to 2000), then it's worth considering!

Ian W

Has anyone had this prob, or know the cause/solution?

I went to broadband recently, and received a Speedtouch 330 Modem.

I got a Speedtouch 330 from Eclipse this week.

I had already set someone up with one the week before.

I set mine up and left everything switched on.

When I came back, the screen was blank and without thinking I pressed the on/off switch instead of just moving the mouse to reset the power saving screen-off thingy.

When I restarted, the modem said there was no dial tone. The ADSL LED was flashing. There was a dial tone on the phone.

I un-installed the modem and reinstalled it. No trouble since, but I have been disconnecting and shutting down ever since.

I can't say if the modem was working when I switched it off or not. It hasn't happened since.

The Eclipse connection is not as fast as the Metronet one that I shared up until now.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I'm having similar problems with my 330. Its only started recenty a I also get the modems not recognised, or name/password is incorrect. I have reloaded the drivers but this hasnt cured it. I have to either reboot or disconnect the usb connection to get things working again.

I have just had the same problem again this morning. Using dialup at the moment!

Mine definitely wasn't hot. It had been switched off all night.

The installation CD seems to be at fault as well. The drive takes ages to recognise it. I keep getting messages that there is no disc in the drive.

Haven't been able to reinstall the modem drivers yet today.

Eclipse is in for some bad publicity!

Edited by Jim Roper

I have just had the same problem again this morning. Using dialup at the momement!

Mine definitely wasn't hot. It had been switched off all night.

The installation CD seems to be at fault as well. The drive takes ages to recognise it. I keep getting messages that there is no disc in the drive.

Haven't been able to reinstall the modem drivers yet today.

Eclipse is in for some bad publicity!

I only asked for help. not more tales of woe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, when I get cut off the modem light flashes, indicating I believe, that something is amiss further down the line. Glad to find I'm not as fouled up as I thought!

The ADSL light flashing means that the line/connection is not in sync.

I've tried all sorts today.

At the moment I can seemingly install all the gubbings but when I plug in the cable and the thing starts to recognise it, I get a request for a file 'stci.dll'. I find it on the CD but it won't recognise it. There is a small mark on the CD and I am wondering if that is the cause.

I am downloading drivers from the speedtouch website at the moment to see if that will fix it.

Do a Google search on 'speedtouch forum' and you will find a few more people with the same problems.