The POLE !!!!!!

craynerd

Peter I dont agree, as Rudd states The pole is a tool just like all our other fishing equipment.

I like to think of myself as an all round specimen type angler; but I own and like to occasionally use a pole.

They are good fun to fish with and a very efficient means of catching fish, one of the best ways of catching large Crucians I know of.

I was lucky in that I was taught to use the pole by a very experienced match angler(Kevin Pack), but the basics are easy to master, though becoming an expert is another question.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony I dont agree with PeterK that they make you look daft, cant figure out how they make you look daft?

Bob Nudd or Alan Scothorne have just won the world champs using the pole, you say to them well done but did you know how daft you looked?

I do agree that Craynerd should learn to float fish properly first with a rod and reel as it is one of many methods he will need to become a good angler.

When pleasure fishing my favorite method happens to be the waggler which is also my strongest method.

I can cast it out, easily feed, have a cuppa, eat a sandwich and watch my float all at once!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Well the 'daft' bit was a little 'tongue in cheek' really.

Personally, I dont like poles. I know there is a lot of skill in using one but it's just not for me. Maybe if I liked match fishing I would have another view.

I will readilly use the pole at a water that suits it, but at a water like, say, Westminster at Lemington lakes, I use a method feeder and catch a lot more than people fishing the pole at that water!

Just like Rudd said, the pole is a tool,and like Peter said, learn to fish each method properly before trying a new "tool". I have fished for over 50 years, and only learned to use a pole in the last 2 years!

I still caught fish with rod and reel, because I knew how to!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• 2 months later...

quote:

I know there is a lot of skill in using one but it's just not for me. Maybe if I liked match fishing I would have another view.
i use the pole and i dont fish matches. but then again i use float,ledger and feeders. each comes into their own in different situations. i mainly use the pole as where i fish the carp love paste and its very hard to fish paste with the other methods. where i fish is where i been going for years b4 i got a pole i could catch about 50lb-80lb a session on the waggler and using pellet,lucheon meat or sweetcorn. then i noticed that ppl using a pole would catch more than me so i went and had a look at wot they where doing and most where using paste. so i got a second hand pole and am now reguarly catching 150lb-180lb in a session. but i also fish another lake for tench and perch and for some reason i prefer to use a waggler setup.