Destructive fishing' ban for NZ

Pugs

One-third of New Zealand's offshore waters is going to be declared off-limits to bottom-trawlers.

The announcement was made in Wellington at the end of a fisheries conference attended by delegates from 20 nations.

If the decision is followed through, it would result in the world's largest total closure to bottom-trawl fishing within an Exclusive Economic Zone, EEZ.

Conservation groups say bottom-trawling is the most destructive type of fishing undertaken in the world's oceans today.

Ships trail heavy nets across the sea bed, catching fish but destroying coral and other organisms.

Marine scientists say some of the species affected are extremely slow growing and would take hundreds or even thousands of years to recover from the damage.

This echos what I stated on another post to Wurzle, mussle beds and everything else scraped clean on Boscombe Rough

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

This echos what I stated on another post to Wurzle, mussle beds and everything else scraped clean on Boscombe Rough

Yor right Ken dredging the bottom for mussels, clams or whatever is the worst and most destructive form of 'fishing'. Even my grampa said that to us when we were kids and he was at sea for over fifty years and they knew that in the 70's. How anyone in the commercial trade has the 'balls' to say that it is not destructive is beyond me :angry:

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yor right Ken dredging the bottom for mussels, clams or whatever is the worst and most destructive form of 'fishing'. Even my grampa said that to us when we were kids and he was at sea for over fifty years and they knew that in the 70's. How anyone in the commercial trade has the 'balls' to say that it is not destructive is beyond me :angry:

See Strangfor Loch in NI, like a desert of old scallop shells.

See Strangfor Loch in NI, like a desert of old scallop shells.

Thats one of the places he mentioned, used to be the harbour master all around Down, before retiring.

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image