Maggot Laws

I know what Gozzer means, maggots in a plastic bag on a hot day can go a bit manky. I'll see what the maggot suppliers say when I visit them, but it certainly seems to be one of those things that as anglers we don't really know (despite us all using them).

Odd though we pay a rod licence and yet again (like my comments in the past about the trout fishing closed season, and the exact definition of an unattended rod) it all seems to be a bit up in the air and misinformed - perhaps re-emphasising the need for someone else to deal with the 'angling side' of fishing and let the environment agency just keep the water clean(ish)!

Edited by UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk

Ian W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going to move this to the coarse forum, as I believe it will get mor replies there.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

perhaps re-emphasising the need for someone else to deal with the 'angling side' of fishing and let the environment agency just keep the water clean(ish)!

To be honest, if the environment agency stuck to a remit of keeping the rivers clean and maintaining the habitats there for all wildlife, they would not need to do anything else. The private sector can provide fish farms and fisheries consultancy. What was that rod licence fee meant to pay for again? ;)

When did any of you last receive a guide to handling Pike with your rod licence?? When did you last even get a copy of local by laws? Unfortunately the EA make such a p1ss poor job of handling the rod licence money that anglers are not even educated properly.

We all learn new things about the sport all the time - my question about maggots is, genuinely, something I know sod all about. I'll ask the suppliers, but really shouldn't we all know?

(By the way, the EA did waste a shedload of money telling me to buy my rod licence last may even though I had already done so AND it carried a a few adverts for fishing around the west country).

Ian W

We all learn new things about the sport all the time - my question about maggots is, genuinely, something I know sod all about. I'll ask the suppliers, but really shouldn't we all know?

Why?

For my own benefit I'm only ever going to buy mine in a baitbox with a lid that won't come off, so why do I need to know if it's OK to buy them in a paper bag or some other unsuitable receptacle?

weve had this one before. The tackle shops round here will serve you with maggots in plastic bags , but the tackle shop in welshpool will only serve you maggots in a sealed conntainer, eg baitbox, which he convenantly sells. but as for the law i couldnt say.

my mate got round it though, he went to the sweet shop in the town and and got a empty sweet container,for free, and had half pint and some strange looks

you can buy those type disposable pots with air holes already in. pet shops sell live insects in them

To be serious, if you check with the tackle shop he will probably tell you that there are local bye laws forbidding any other means of container other than a secure plastic box with holes, ( bait box) when purchasing the things. You are free to do what ever you wish with them after you bought them.

{Edited to remove a quote pointing to a deleted reply. Newt}