Sainsbury to stop selling skate and huss.

Steve Coppolo

Hello Steve

Didn't Davy say that most are now caught by longliners though?

I don't think long lineing is realy a metheod that has been used all around the British isles to the extent that it would completly deplete a stock like common skate from all areas but a small area in the north of Scotland.

Are there any catch statistics by the commercial fleet that confirm common skate were once caught in large numbers all around the British ilse?

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hiya,

from one of my earlier posts " However it's not only Commercials that have played their part in the reduction of the skate stocks, anglers did their part also, thankfully through education the days of the trophy shot with a dead skate hung up on a pier are in almost all in the past."

Sadly on the case of the Common and White Skate.. anglers did as much damage to the stocks and played a major part in wiping out of the stocks. With anglers removing any skate they caught and commercials removing the immature fish as "ray's" along with the occasional adult fish.. it wouldn't take long for the stock to collapse.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

wurzel Today, 07:54 PM Post #102

Group: Members

Member No.: 6,262

Hello Sam

and the main catch was thornies most of whick were the size of a small plate,

They weren't large thornies then, are you sure they were all dead?

There are always loads of juvenile thornies where ever you go, it is difficult to avoid them, if you used meshes big enough for the baby thornies to escape you would not catch any thing eles. I think a big percentage do survive, we do not recapture many dead ones.

--------------------

Hello Peter, how do you recapture a dead thornie.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hello Dave

commercials removing the immature fish as "ray's

I can see that happening I supose.

Hello Sam

Hello Peter, how do you recapture a dead thornie

Quite easily, they drift around on the tide, drift nets would scoope them up as would trawlers, if you say you shovled loads over the side . if they were all dead the ground would be littered with them, you would be catching rotten thornies for weeks, Just to be a git we once had a chap dump some box's of dead spotty dogs among our sole nets, we were catching putrid spotty dogs for weeks.