Sainsbury to stop selling skate and huss.

Steve Coppolo

So Steve can you name any sustainable methods to catch flat fish , monk fish, thornback rays and haddock, to name jusr a few or are you suggesting we just stop fish for these species altogether.

What does your extremely knowledgeable expert mr Clover say?

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always Wurzel the market will dictate what you fish for.

When public opinion moves against unsustainable fisheries, the shops will not stock them and you will not fish for them as they will ahve no value to you.

Pulic awareness is being raised as we speak hence the move by the larger supermarket chains.

This will be quicker and more effective than any prolonged government or EU regulations and until such times that the commercial fleet are seen to be acting responsibly and not being caught and fined for breaking the current regulations this will continue to work against you in this PC world that we now live in.

So Steve can you name any sustainable methods to catch flat fish , monk fish, thornback rays and haddock, to name jusr a few or are you suggesting we just stop fish for these species altogether.

What does your extremely knowledgeable expert mr Clover say?

No Peter, I can't. I'm just saying what's happened elsewhere, and what seems to be happening here, although having said that I suppose any method will be considered sustainable if people don't tear the arse out of it.

Charles Clover says that consumers prefer to buy fish from sustainable fisheries and those selling it are doing very well.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I was at work today and the customer had day time TV on. The program had a bit about a fish mongers/fish resterant, the owners set fixed gill nets on the beach that is oposite the shop. They only sell and cook whats caught on the beach. They showed bass, mullet, soals, flounders, cod and so on.

Wurzel maybe you could get a shop on the sea front.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hello Steve

Charles Clover says that consumers prefer to buy fish from sustainable fisheries and those selling it are doing very well.

That can't be true, I can't think of any fish other than a few handline mackrel caught around the British Isles that either are a sustainable stock or caught with sustainable methods, if they abide by green peace criteria there would not be any fish at all on the fish counter.

Hello Sam

Wurzel maybe you could get a shop on the sea front

I have a out let at a farm shop selling local produce, it can be hard work for a bit extra, you can't be in two places at once.

Hello Steve

That can't be true, I can't think of any fish other than a few handline mackrel caught around the British Isles that either are a sustainable stock or caught with sustainable methods, if they abide by green peace criteria there would not be any fish at all on the fish counter.

Yes but how much fish sold in Britain is British caught fish? Most of the fish we eat is imported. (And most that we catch is exported. Mad or what?) It's a new phenominon in this country, but if it takes off, like it has in other countries, it will be very easy for the buyers to choose their suppliers more carefully.

Are you saying that all fish in the UK are being fished un-sustainably?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

As always Wurzel the market will dictate what you fish for.

When public opinion moves against unsustainable fisheries, the shops will not stock them and you will not fish for them as they will ahve no value to you.

Pulic awareness is being raised as we speak hence the move by the larger supermarket chains.

This will be quicker and more effective than any prolonged government or EU regulations and until such times that the commercial fleet are seen to be acting responsibly and not being caught and fined for breaking the current regulations this will continue to work against you in this PC world that we now live in.

Absolutely right and those that continue to bury their heads in the sand will be just as successful as those who weren't going to move from pounds, shillings and pence and all other changes, they'll be just anachronisms in a changing world.

Hello Steve

Are you saying that all fish in the UK are being fished un-sustainably?

Not at all, but Green Peace are.

When public opinion moves against unsustainable fisheries

But it is not public opinion, it's Green Peace's opinion, It was not the public not buying the fish that made the super market take it off the shelf.

More Information at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fish/story/0,,1720580,00.html

League table

1 M&S Sells 15 species that are safe, and only one on the endangered list

2 Waitrose Sells 20 species that are recommended and three that should be avoided

3 Sainsbury's Sells 16 products certified by Marine Stewardship Council, and five under threat

4 Tesco Sells 14 species from safe list and four that should be avoided

5 Co-op Sustainable policy on tuna, but sells four species under threat

6 Morrisons Sells 15 species on safe list but four endangered species

7 Asda Sells 10 species that are safe but six that should be avoided

8 Somerfield Sells seven species that are safe and two species that should be avoided

9 Iceland Sells one species from the safe list and one species on the avoid list

10 Lidl Failed to respond to the survey

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE