NFSA on Radio 5 Today

Leon Roskilly

Just had this from Alan Brothers, the NFSA Press Officer.

BBC Radio 5 Live plan a brief interview with Gerard Twigger on their Drive programme this afternoon. (Monday). You should be able to get it on medium wave 693 or 909 kHz. It will be at about 4.55 pm so suggest you might tune in a little before then in case it comes on earlier.

You can also listen live online at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/index.shtml?logo

(some progammes can be 'listened to again' after they have been broadcast, not sure if you will be able to with this)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Just had this from Alan Brothers, the NFSA Press Officer.

You can also listen live online at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/index.shtml?logo

(some progammes can be 'listened to again' after they have been broadcast, not sure if you will be able to with this)

:clap2: As usual from the NFSA, loads of forward planning and warning, no press release or warning to members by e-mail. :clap:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Feb 27 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: As usual from the NFSA, loads of forward planning and warning, no press release or warning to members by e-mail. :clap:

As the Federation had only a few hours notice for the said interview I reckon on this occasion they acted pretty quickly, its a surprise they had time to tell anybody.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Feb 27 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

As the Federation had only a few hours notice for the said interview I reckon on this occasion they acted pretty quickly, its a surprise they had time to tell anybody.

:clap2: I received Tideline today, how long does it take to send an email to "all members"? :clap2:

I asked the NFSA for a transcript of the Interview :)

BBC Radio 5 Live February 27 2006 at 4.55 pm

Angling ban on Blackpool piers

Interviewer (Peter) The owners of the pier say the ban is for health and safety reasons. Gerard Twigger is from the National Federation of Sea Anglers - what’s the problem with fishing off the pier, Gerard?

Gerard: We would like to know Peter. We are in a situation where we have written to Leisure Parcs who have so far not responded. We are being told by the clubs that they have been told there are health and safety issues but beyond that Leisure Parcs have not gone into it.

Peter: Smelly bits of bait, and hooks and stuff like that I suppose you might be a nuisance?

Gerard: Well only to ourselves probably. We obviously have a fairly strict code and I did check up this afternoon and I’m assured that they have been notified of no issues whatsoever, either club involved, regarding that sort of thing.

Peter: Trouble is that if you’re younger or indeed disabled or older, then getting a big caster off the beach is only for active really, it is much easier to fish off the edge of a pier.

Gerard: That’s absolutely true, Peter. We are mainly concerned about the issues surrounding anyone with any form of infirmity due to disability or age. These platforms are in some cases the only access they have to this sport and they are being eroded all round the country at the moment.

Peter: We tried to speak to Leisure Parcs to see if they would give us a reason for the ban but they are unavailable.

END

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

"As usual from the NFSA, loads of forward planning and warning, no press release or warning to members by e-mail. "

As the case with many of these type of telephone interviews, it can be a last minute affair , with not a great deal of time to put out a general release

I listened to the interview and it was squeezed in at 16:58 hrs , I think it did not go on any longer as , the other party involved where unavailable.

I thought Gerard Twigger gave good account.

NFSA hq has undergone major transformations with their office systems , things are still far from perfect , but are being addressed.

There are over 1400 nfsa members who can can receive information by e-mail , at one time this could take over 3 hours to send and often crashed the equipement .

I understand systems are now in place to make this task simpler , quicker and less liable to crash.

The idea of "tidelines" is a communications vehicle between journals.

Its the old chicken and egg situation , more staff are required within the nfsa , but it costs money , which requires more members , funding etc.

Remember the NFSA deals with all aspects of sea angling, from coaching , conservation , access , a whole long list .

I do wish RSA in the uk had an organisation similiar to the USA RFA, but even the RFA needed a donation of 1 million dollars to get it off the ground.

cheers

Tom

NFSA, BASS, SACN

"As usual from the NFSA, loads of forward planning and warning, no press release or warning to members by e-mail. "

As the case with many of these type of telephone interviews, it can be a last minute affair , with not a great deal of time to put out a general release

I listened to the interview and it was squeezed in at 16:58 hrs , I think it did not go on any longer as , the other party involved where unavailable.

I thought Gerard Twigger gave good account.

NFSA hq has undergone major transformations with their office systems , things are still far from perfect , but are being addressed.

There are over 1400 nfsa members who can can receive information by e-mail , at one time this could take over 3 hours to send and often crashed the equipement .

I understand systems are now in place to make this task simpler , quicker and less liable to crash.

The idea of "tidelines" is a communications vehicle between journals.

Its the old chicken and egg situation , more staff are required within the nfsa , but it costs money , which requires more members , funding etc.

Remember the NFSA deals with all aspects of sea angling, from coaching , conservation , access , a whole long list .

I do wish RSA in the uk had an organisation similiar to the USA RFA, but even the RFA needed a donation of 1 million dollars to get it off the ground.

cheers

Tom

NFSA, BASS, SACN

:clap2: Hi Tom, not wishing to knock anyone but why should the servers/computers crash when sending a short email to 1400 members. It would have taken a minute to type and not long to send via email. It does seem that the NFSA is still dragging it's feet on embracing modern technology that would save them many man hours that would enable their hard pressed staff to devote their precious time elsewhere. :clap2:

Hi Norm

The systems are now in place to make the e-mailing task simpler, hence starting just before christmas , the nfsa has been notifying its meembers by e-mail on subjects such as the bass mls.

I agree though , still a fair way to go , but its being worked on.

Are you going to the nec this year , if so which day ?

Tom