Is This Knot Correct

FisherManDan50

Dan,

Well it is 1/2 correct. That is, from a practical point of view, the only time you should a blood knot is joining two lines together. Your knot is a half blood knot or half barrel knot. Will cost you a lot of fish as it is prone to slip. It's the worst of all knots.

FYI - I use the clinch knot most often - the rest of the time I use a palomar knot.

ayjay,

Every fishing knot is a strangulation knot

Phone

I used a tucked half blood knot for years, and never had a problem with losing fish. I still do use it sometimes.

I've always believed that even a half decent knot, properly tied, is better than an allegedly superior knot, badly tied.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's a *strangulation knot* - it weakens the line - there are better knots that won't ever fail if tied correctly - learn them instead.

All knots weaken line. Ive never had a blood knot fail with a fish on ever *that i can remember lol*

so why would i want to use another (i do btw but blood is a nice quick simple knot thats done me alright for years)

Dan, the animated knot site others mentioned is the one id use.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

All knots weaken line. Ive never had a blood knot fail with a fish on ever *that i can remember lol*

so why would i want to use another (i do btw but blood is a nice quick simple knot thats done me alright for years)

Dan, the animated knot site others mentioned is the one id use.

I can tie knots which will always pull to the b/s of the line - the line will part elsewhere before the knot breaks.

I know I can't do that with a half-blood knot - I doubt that anyone can.

I don't fish for tiddlers - I expect my tackle to be up to the task demanded of it and I test anything new to destruction, especially line and knots - nothing is ever left to chance.

Lets look at it another way, if I were to go fishing now, choosing any form of fishing that I habitually do - and I tied my hook on with a half-blood knot, I know it would be the weakest link in my tackle - therefore I don't use a half-blood knot for hooks and can't recommend that anyone else does.

They have their uses. They are particularly easy to tie and are strong enough for some purposes and are easy to undo. I don't use them much these days because, apart from when I'm fly fishing, if I'm using eyed hooks, I'm expecting a tussle, but there are still situations in which I use them. If I'm using light float gear somewhere I don't expect big fish, I might use a half blood to tie a hook length to a loop. If I think there is a chance of bigger fish, I will use something stronger. Likewise if I have to really scale down the bs of the hooklength and need all the strength I can get.

Unless I am using the knotless knot I use my Matchman hook tyer for all hooks and the Palomar for swivels. Never lost one yet due to knot problem (mind you I tend to catch the smaller fish :hypocrite: )

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Dan,

Well it is 1/2 correct. That is, from a practical point of view, the only time you should a blood knot is joining two lines together. Your knot is a half blood knot or half barrel knot. Will cost you a lot of fish as it is prone to slip. It's the worst of all knots.

FYI - I use the clinch knot most often - the rest of the time I use a palomar knot.

Phone

ahh, braid to mono, always an improved version of the Albright knot, 8-10 turns up and the same down, I only catch up to 85 lb congers with that knot so I haven't managed to test it to destruction yet. and the best thing about the knot is that I can still tie it with very heavy mono leader and super thin braid :D

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I doubt your claim about making a knot equal to the bs.

When you've done hundreds of tests using the right knot tied well, you'll be able to do the same.

Try a *Palomar* or a *Two pass stopped hitch*.