Devon/Dorset fish meet/match

richi

Thanks Richi, as a Wessex Boy too I'd hoped to be able to wangle my way in and it does seem that you may need some help, that Devon Armada is growing apace, bless em.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about Seatown. Car park close to beach, Pub next to Beach, Caravan park 100m from beach and centraly located. Not fished that much but as someone that has shore fished it a good variety of ground both close in and at mid distance. Gentle tides, no jet skis and Portland Harbour/Lyme Bay a possible bad weather alternative.

I love Warbarrow but problem is any breeze from W or SW can make launching from steep shingle beach testing. Also dont underestimate that 1 mile walk from carpark. Im game but think Lulworth would be better launch for most. The bay itself is awesome (My favorite place in England) just not the easiest to access. Also the Yaghties have discovered it and it can become a bit crowded in fine weather.

They have also started to lock the gates at 10pm which could limit any night fishing. Not a problem if accessing from Lulworth. The remoteness makes it a very weather dependent location as me and Richi found out. More a location for small groups rather than a largish get together with mixed paddling abilities. Which is what I think this fun comp should try to attract. IMHO

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Reckon we should have 2 or 3 chosen locations up our sleeve allowing a possible excursion at one of the three depending on wind and swell direction and post exact location a couple of days before when we can get a good handle on the weather. First thing is to decide on the date.

Worbarrow 1 mile walk, half mile maybe, mind you with my long legs it probably feels like a lot less :D. If we all made an extra trolley we could free wheel down to the beach.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

WHAT? And lose more anchors?!!!

I shall not say I will come until nearer the date when you have fixed one and I know what my work commitments are - getting hectic by then probably.

One thing I would like to venture though for all you Devon, Dorset and travelling Hampshire folks is a trip to the Skerries for the spring plaice. I think this is at its peak from mid April through to Mid May. Anyone up for a short trip out to try the banks? Launch site is off the beach at Hallsands - a nice shingle beach with car park right at the top of the beach. Anything with east in it rules this out though. From the SW the beach is in the lee of Start Point and the banks start about 3/4 mile off the beach - plaice and dabs in profusion. Plus other soft bottomed fish to catch including bass.

I know I am working in Venice from 21 - 25 April, but this beach doesn't get crowded as much as others. Feedback folks?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Reckon we should have 2 or 3 chosen locations up our sleeve allowing a possible excursion at one of the three depending on wind and swell direction and post exact location a couple of days before when we can get a good handle on the weather. First thing is to decide on the date.

Worbarrow 1 mile walk, half mile maybe, mind you with my long legs it probably feels like a lot less :D. If we all made an extra trolley we could free wheel down to the beach.

SM :)

totally agree Starvin as always wise words----reckon that worbarrow has got to be one of the 2 or 3 locations just a bummer that it's only 1/2 mile to 1 mile walk--we're used to yakmountaineering :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Has anyone launched from Worbarrow? A few steps from the waterline and I think you are into deep water as its seems to shelf off deep when I've fished from the shore there. Near the eastern side where the path ends should be ok - I've seen swimmers setoff/paddle around in the part. If the swell did pick up and landing became difficult there is always the small cove to the left of the bay on the other side of Worbarrow Tout (would have be careful there too though lots of rocks just below the surface at high tide/exposed at low).

If no one has launched from there and we agree on this location I may go down beforehand with my yak to recce the place. Once on the water it should be a cracking venue for fishing.

Simon - put me down as a maybe for this trip.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

looks like the Skerries are on the venue list or what gentlemen?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

a maybe for me.. if I drove that kind of distance/time in car I'd stay down for the night/weekend.

Where are the Skerries? :huh:

If you wanted to go Speciman.I could drive

zzippy2.gif