advice - lake Zahara in Spain, licence

td66

Hi, just joined the forum, hello. I am from south wales and just getting into freshwater fishing after returning to sea fishing last year. I am hankering after pike fishing with lures this autumn!

Next June my wife and I have booked a villa in andalucia, just down the road is lake Zahara, reputed to hold fiesty black bass. Got to be fished! Now I know that each region needs a licence and for Spanish nationals andalucia requires you to sit an exam and do the paperchase that is Spanish local government. But I have heard that if you have a licence from another Spanish region, I have a canary island shore licence, or one from another UK country, like my UK rod licence, then you can avoid the exam and buy a licence online on telelicencia. Trouble is it is in Spanish and asks for info I don't have.

So does anyone know for definate and also do I need a permit or ticket to fish. Not worth risking it as the Guardia civil are keen!

I have emailed, Spanish embassy, Spanish tourist board, junta de andalucia. First two referred me to the junta, junta ignored me. I even emailed in Spanish too.

Anyone live in andalucia?

Cheers

Tim

I know Zahara very well and yes you do need a licence anglers are regularly checked by the Guardia Civil (not to be crossed) who have the power to confiscate your tackle. Licences are difficult to obtain in Andalucía, not like other provinces as the Junta de Andalucia lumped fishing licences and hunting licences together and you have to sit a test to obtain one or bring over your rod licence and a club membership to be exempted.

I believe the nearest town where you can obtain a licence is Arcos de la Frontera and if you can get over the all of the hurdles it takes about three or more days to process. If spent more time there I would bother but as I only normally spend three or four days a trip in Zahara I just get on with other things and forget fishing (the bird watching is superb).

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Cheers tony. I have a club membership and a UK rod licence. So if I understand it right I can be exempted from the test. Do you know where I go in stchos de la frontera? I agree about the bird watching too.

I don't know the address but you will need to go to the Agencia Medio Ambiente in Arcos. You will also need public liability insurance before you can get your licence, this can be arranged at a local bank or Caja. Then you Handover your UK Fishing Licence, Public liability note along with your UK Passport. They will then provide you with a yellow slip of paper with your NIR number on it. Whilst you are there pick up a Brochure titled Pesca Continental en Andalucia issued by the Department on the areas within Andalucia that you can fish, it also contains the species in each area, also the closed seasons, most of these closed areas relate to Trout / Salmon fishing. Although in Spanish it gives you a map of each area, within the Region and is useful.

As I said it is to much for me much easier to go birdwatching up at Gargante Verde, puerto, de las Palomas or pena de zaframagon.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.