Photo Challenge #8: Looking Up

Gillies

Thank you Cliff,

(2) Ugly brute aint he? :)

(3)I wouldn't know how to photoshop it. If you mean the way the catkins stand out,I think it's just the flash that has done that. The range of the flash is fairly short and so the branches in the background remained unlit by the flash while the catkins became highlighted.

Cheers PTB, I thought is was going to be something like that, or that the sun was picking out the catkins & not the branches.

They're both terrific shots & I'm looking forward to seeing more. I wish I had your vision.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With reference to Chippy's shot I have pm'ed him to gain confirmation on the date taken.

I will say this though, that I have seen some of Chippy's work in the past long before this photo forum came to be, and I know he is an accomplished photographer that could without any difficulty take on and complete the challenge.

Rabster noticed what we think is the date in the file title of the shot, and I have to agree with that, also about the leaves on the trees. Although saying that he could well have been on vacation to another country.

What I think has actually happened and its my honest opinion is the thread was quickly read (well the title and description was) and he thought "I have a shot for that" and he posted it. This is obvious as yes there was no exif info, no title, wrong pixel size and yes probably taken last October.

Its my firm belief that this is just an innocent mistake and not an effort to cheat as no effort was made to change the filename. However I have asked for a response (just in case he was on vacation somewhere) by the end of today (midnight) at which stage I will remove his entry from the poll vote leaving only two for this challenge.

I think thats the fairest thing I can do at this stage an in the absence of an attached exif info

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

With reference to Chippy's shot I have pm'ed him to gain confirmation on the date taken.

I will say this though, that I have seen some of Chippy's work in the past long before this photo forum came to be, and I know he is an accomplished photographer that could without any difficulty take on and complete the challenge.

Rabster noticed what we think is the date in the file title of the shot, and I have to agree with that, also about the leaves on the trees. Although saying that he could well have been on vacation to another country.

What I think has actually happened and its my honest opinion is the thread was quickly read (well the title and description was) and he thought "I have a shot for that" and he posted it. This is obvious as yes there was no exif info, no title, wrong pixel size and yes probably taken last October.

Its my firm belief that this is just an innocent mistake and not an effort to cheat as no effort was made to change the filename. However I have asked for a response (just in case he was on vacation somewhere) by the end of today (midnight) at which stage I will remove his entry from the poll vote leaving only two for this challenge.

I think thats the fairest thing I can do at this stage an in the absence of an attached exif info

Steve, I agree 100% with what you've said above. I've checked out Chippy's images on his website & they're stunning, so as you say this challenge is clearly well within his capabilities & if the image was taken outside the qualifying window I'm sure, as you think, that it's just an oversight. :) It's a great shot, whenever it was taken & I'm looking forward to seeing more of Chippys pics.

Sorry if I have put the cat among the pigeons re Chippy's entry, it was not my intention to question the date taken,I was simply interested in the location.

TB, re the exif data, very easy to check up on, simply ask that all entraants keep a copy of the original pic and only enter the resized version/s. In the event of there being any doubts, or even as "one of the rules" Steve can ask to have the original version available.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

TB, re the exif data, very easy to check up on, simply ask that all entraants keep a copy of the original pic and only enter the resized version/s. In the event of there being any doubts, or even as "one of the rules" Steve can ask to have the original version available.

Den

Spot on Den, nice one mate..:) This is definately an improvement we should undertake.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Cool, excellent, that sounds easy.

Or can we somehow take the exif data from the original photo and post it with the cropped entry?

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

TB - have you checked the cropped versions to see if the EXIF is gone or still there?

With the ones I've done and then checked, I still had EXIF data unless I had to remove it to lower the file size.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well I haven't personally checked as I don't know how, but HB told me that once our photos had been cropped, we lost the exif data. Maybe, as you say, we are losing the info when reducing the file size rather than when cropping. Possibly easilly fixable. But anyway, I think that is not a problem, if you have taken the photo within the time limit then the information is still available as long as you make sure you save your original photo.

Sorry to see Chippys photo be removed from the three finalists but in future hopefully once the three finalists have been picked, then Steve will have time to check the size and date etc BEFORE posting them in the Poll. Any of the other photos that don't get picked for the three finalists don't really matter (apart from saving Steve some work by us ALL reading the rules and abiding by them). But this Comp is still new and only regular participants would be aware of ALL the rules. Maybe at the beginning of the thread Steve could post a ten foot sign saying READ THE RULES!

Just realised that Hellbelly is HB and I am TB, he is a Belly and I am a Belle, aw, isn't that cute, we were made for each other!

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!