RSA in Scotland

Hi All

I have just opened a letter from the Scottish exec and RSA will not be invited to sit on the advisory group on marine and coastal strategy.

To say I am gutted is putting it mildly. Finnie the fisheries minister has repeatedly said “there is no reason why we shouldn’t be included” and “We may be included” I guess he was just fobbing us off all the bloody time.

One very pxsswd off

Ian

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi ian sorry to hear that, (hope it was nothing to do with my email stating why he should consider the rsa? i doubt it) i suppose you have got a bigger mountain to climb up their than us southerners as 70% of the fishing industry belongs in scotland peterhead etc, and fish processing factorys which insist on using there own landings, oh well just let us know for future letter writings etc, and i will only be to happy to help in any ways i can, cheers............

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi All

I have just opened a letter from the Scottish exec and RSA will not be invited to sit on the advisory group on marine and coastal strategy.

To say I am gutted is putting it mildly. Finnie the fisheries minister has repeatedly said “there is no reason why we shouldn’t be included” and “We may be included” I guess he was just fobbing us off all the bloody time.

One very pxsswd off

Ian

Ian - If they can ignore the questions raised around McKie then ignoring RSA is small beer for them. IMHO, the only way to get them to focus on our issues is to make it a political issue ie: it will cost them votes.

It's really strange that at a time when they are investing in trying to get youth interested in trout/salmon fishing they are not really interested in RSA - perhaps the TV and other media who gave time / space for that excercise could be encouraged to present the alternative view.

I know there's been a great deal of discussion on the FishScotland Forum on involvement but I don't think the SFSA really have the heart for direct action - consultation, meetings, procedures etc; and too readily get led astray by the weasel words out of Holyrood. That may be a bit harsh but I really don't see the SFSA achieving a great deal.

Hi Ian

That's a bit of a blow. Do your government recognise anglers as stakeholders yet? If they do, there's no valid reason why you should have been excluded, and I'd say you've a good reason to appeal against the decision. If you aren't yet recognised as stakeholders, then you really need to work on that issue.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Ian

That's a bit of a blow. Do your government recognise anglers as stakeholders yet? If they do, there's no valid reason why you should have been excluded, and I'd say you've a good reason to appeal against the decision. If you aren't yet recognised as stakeholders, then you really need to work on that issue.

Hi Steve

After many emails/letters to Finnie, he for the first time in December gave the first positive responce by saying he accepts that RSA is a major income for Scotland and fobbed us off down the tourism route. He won't accept that we have any say in stock management.

He is frightened of the traditionally politically strong tourist lobby. They are as strong as the miners used to be in England

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian - If they can ignore the questions raised around McKie then ignoring RSA is small beer for them. IMHO, the only way to get them to focus on our issues is to make it a political issue ie: it will cost them votes.

It's really strange that at a time when they are investing in trying to get youth interested in trout/salmon fishing they are not really interested in RSA - perhaps the TV and other media who gave time / space for that excercise could be encouraged to present the alternative view.

I know there's been a great deal of discussion on the FishScotland Forum on involvement but I don't think the SFSA really have the heart for direct action - consultation, meetings, procedures etc; and too readily get led astray by the weasel words out of Holyrood. That may be a bit harsh but I really don't see the SFSA achieving a great deal.

Hi Johno

That's a little unfair to the SFSA. They have founded a new conservation committee and the SACN are working with them to try and get RSA recognised.

We started putting pressure on 12 months ago. Don't forget that RSA in England have been lobbying for years. Hopefully Leon will be able to tell us how many. I believe they didn't really get anywhere until Bradshaw replaced Elliot Morley.

What we need is for many individuals in Scotland to write to their MSP and ask them to put questions to Finnie in holyrood as to why we weren't included. We have to show it isn't just a keen few.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Johno

That's a little unfair to the SFSA. They have founded a new conservation committee and the SACN are working with them to try and get RSA recognised..............................snip

Ian, you are probably right ,, and I even said so in my original mail, but I'll wait a while before making any final judgement.

My email to my MSP is on its way.