Rocking horse s**t

MICK SMITH39

I love all fish and it does wind me up when people call carp mud pigs,but i am starting to get fed up with carp myself,If you want to buy a rod on e,bay and it happens to be a carp rod you know you wont be able to afford it,if you ring up about a fishery that you have just found and they say there is carp in it,you know it is going to be the other side of £300,What winds me up most is its easier to catch carp than tench,still not had one this year yet.

Jump across the pond. Fishing is comparatively very inexpensive, tackle is fairly inexpensive, and you can use whatever gear or baits you want for carp that have likely never seen a bait before since very few of us actually fish for carp (and their cousins the buffalo which actually get larger than carp) over here.

Otherwise, I feel your pain and it does seem unreasonable.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There is superp tackle out there which you dint have to pay huge money for...check fishtec, shimano reels, Shakespeare stuff etc

All have excellent quality stuff and are cheap.

As for fisheries....only specimen carp venues will usually hit that kind of price!

Or just join a local club!

My club offers a course lake, a carp lake and a mixed course/ carp..plus chalk river trout and course fishing all for £37 a year!!

That's bargain basement stuff!

And there are several places around the country with decent fushing on day tickets!

My local fishery is £5 an evening and produces tench like this!

df0ccc16-e3cf-49bf-8070-8f31342700fd_zps

• Like 1

Mud pigs?

Nah, they're scuzz suckers.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I love all fish and it does wind me up when people call carp mud pigs,but i am starting to get fed up with carp myself,If you want to buy a rod on e,bay and it happens to be a carp rod you know you wont be able to afford it,if you ring up about a fishery that you have just found and they say there is carp in it,you know it is going to be the other side of £300,What winds me up most is its easier to catch carp than tench,still not had one this year yet.

It's a bit ironic that you start a thread about carp, and use the word s**t in the title. Ironic, and very apt in my opinion. You've hit the nail on the head with your observations. It's not just the carp, it's the whole industry surrounding the bloody things, that's the problem. I don't know how long you've been fishing Mick, but you seem to have been sucked into the hype at some stage. To fish for carp, you don't have to use a "carp" rod, same with a barbel rod, a roach rod, etc. it's the action that counts, not a name on the label.

I don't know where you can find a water that doesn't have carp in it, if you can, and live in or around Yorkshire, please let me know. It's usually the 'specimen' carp waters that cost the money you mention. The ones with massive 'mud pigs', all with christian names, and who's death calls for a national day of mourning among the initiated.

The fact that you say you are "getting fed up with carp", shows that there is hope for you yet Welcome to the world of the enlightened.

John.

Edited by gozzer
  • Like 3

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Where do you live? Marsh Farm nr Godalming is a very well run commercial - based on crucians and tench - not a carp in sight - wish there were more fisheries like it!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I don't fish for carp delibertly,and I do not mind if I catch one,i do not hate carp or any living creature for that matter, I am old school and I fish in the margins using old glass rods and centrepins,Happy days.You can buy old glass rods for under £20,but if it has the word Carp on the rod the rod then goes up to £60 or more,I have not caught a tench for two years,where as a few years ago I used to go after work for 3or 4 hours and be in with a chance of a couple of tench.I think it is because where ever you fish the carp vastly out number the tench.BUT I do put a lot of restrictions on my fishing,i don't use boilies,I don't fish commercials,i don't nightfish anymore,i wont fish anywhere where there is rubbish,line,etc.And I will not fish anywhere that is busy.If I go fishing and don't see a human being all day,then I have had a good day,if I catch a fish and no one knows except me then I have had a brilliant day :sad2:

There is superp tackle out there which you dint have to pay huge money for...check fishtec, shimano reels, Shakespeare stuff etc

All have excellent quality stuff and are cheap.

As for fisheries....only specimen carp venues will usually hit that kind of price!

Or just join a local club!

My club offers a course lake, a carp lake and a mixed course/ carp..plus chalk river trout and course fishing all for £37 a year!!

That's bargain basement stuff!

And there are several places around the country with decent fushing on day tickets!

My local fishery is £5 an evening and produces tench like this!

df0ccc16-e3cf-49bf-8070-8f31342700fd_zps

£5 an evening??? In one dam??? That equates to $9 in Queensland. I pay $35 = £19 a year to fish any of 32 dams for barramundi to trout and murray cod in an area 7.5 times the size of the UK...No cost to fish any rivers no cost to fish any of the 7,000 km coastline

You blokes really are doing it tough for your sport.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I fish in the margins using old glass rods and centrepins,...............have not caught a tench for two years, (carp get there first)

Try dog biscuits on the surface, to attract the carp, then fish worm, maggot, cockle, black pudding or luncheon meat on the bottom several feet away.

Keep the dog biscuits going and resist the temptation to put one on a hook ! :)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...