Rocking horse s**t

MICK SMITH39

I am out tomorrow on a new water, I am giving my appollo taperflash a outing,prob with an avon royal supreame,i will be using bread,bacon grill or prawns,I have used black pudding on a number of occasions and not had a bite,which is a surprise cos it has a lot going for it ie no one uses it,its colour and the blood content.

Never been a better time in my lifetime than now to buy good quality very usable equipment at very low prices! Just look around you can buy a set of three JRC Defender carp rods new for less (£90) than you could buy one BLANK for in the 80's! Todays £30 rods from the likes of JRC, TFG etc etc are just as good as the £130 rods we used! Only thing you pay for (unnecessarily) now though it seems is the name or totally uneeded "fashionable" extras such as over sized butt rings etc etc. To get the best deals either buy quality well looked after second hand or if buying new buy last seasons model! Often exactly the same just different name/cosmetic details!

I use some pretty (well what most would regard as old!) tackle such as Match Aerials,Mitchell 300S's and even my B&W Pike rods are now 20 years plus! but I use GOOD older gear that in most cases hasn't really been bettered BUT IMHO just using old gear (such as the mentioned Taperflash) that ISNT good is just plain daft! Just because its old and well known don't make it good! I still like the "feel" of my Sharpes split cane fly rods and despite weighing many more times the weight of a modern one its not really the issue on such a small rod but even though I loved and caught plenty of fish on old classic match rods such as ABU All Englands, B&W CTM's and Hardy Matchmakers I have NO desire what so ever to go back to them! Yes I understand the odd session for nostalgia or for collectors to actually see what their prized items were like to fish with but to use them full time when there's plenty of FAR better (and often cheaper) alternatives is beyond me!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Never been a better time in my lifetime than now to buy good quality very usable equipment at very low prices! Just look around you can buy a set of three JRC Defender carp rods new for less (£90) than you could buy one BLANK for in the 80's! Todays £30 rods from the likes of JRC, TFG etc etc are just as good as the £130 rods we used! Only thing you pay for (unnecessarily) now though it seems is the name or totally uneeded "fashionable" extras such as over sized butt rings etc etc. To get the best deals either buy quality well looked after second hand or if buying new buy last seasons model! Often exactly the same just different name/cosmetic details!

I use some pretty (well what most would regard as old!) tackle such as Match Aerials,Mitchell 300S's and even my B&W Pike rods are now 20 years plus! but I use GOOD older gear that in most cases hasn't really been bettered BUT IMHO just using old gear (such as the mentioned Taperflash) that ISNT good is just plain daft! Just because its old and well known don't make it good! I still like the "feel" of my Sharpes split cane fly rods and despite weighing many more times the weight of a modern one its not really the issue on such a small rod but even though I loved and caught plenty of fish on old classic match rods such as ABU All Englands, B&W CTM's and Hardy Matchmakers I have NO desire what so ever to go back to them! Yes I understand the odd session for nostalgia or for collectors to actually see what their prized items were like to fish with but to use them full time when there's plenty of FAR better (and often cheaper) alternatives is beyond me!

You are entitled to your opinion mate, The reason I used the taperflash the other day is because I wanted to.

You are entitled to your opinion mate, The reason I used the taperflash the other day is because I wanted to.

Yey i used one and a hardy altex some years ago and realised not all the tangles ,breaks and loops in the line was ALL down to being a kid (not that i could afford an altex then) ,if their insides were kept rust free taperflashes were far better than glass of the time IMHO altex's though "of" their time once technology over took quality things changed but reels really havnt changed since 1960 ish ,they maybe lighter and smoother but they only are line holders after all

I still use tackle from the 70's (little later but glass was in its prime) i have whitnessed far to many rubbish carbon monstrosities both in use and chucked in the brambles to make me buy anything newer ,just because it old doesnt mean it stops working ,rods and reels dont come with a pre determined fish landing capacity ,they dont wear out if looked after..

I will let others spend to save a few ounces in weight or half an inch in thickness ,i am strong enough to hold it and man enough to use it without its fashionable lables

Unfortunately most carbon rods i see at the pond are noisy short things unsuited to how they are being used ,i can underarm a float twice as far as some of these modern things can and with no noise at all except the line going gently through the rings

Chap today was swishing his 5 foot rod trying to cast i could hear it as i came in through the gate

Theres snobbery on both sides of the fence in most things but my ponds great theres no stigma not having lables a kid was using his "new" Mitchell 300 (got a spare spool in a proper mitchell ali box he beamed) and really enjoying it ,even seen intrepids down there as well as a felton crosswind and every pin you can imagine ,if you enjoy using it does it matter its not new? The fish certainly dont give a crap

Stuff is cheap today even a crappy intrepid as a great deal of money when you look back but modern stuff (to me) has no soul ,i fish with my friend's long term friend's, you cant become friends with something your going to get rid of as soon as the fashion wears off

Most modern marriages dont last as long as my abu 506 never mind the rest in my bag or box

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

my old man is a great one for digging up his old floats...he has a collection of stuff he made when we were first starting to fish! so that's 30+ years old now!

he now sits at home and makes his own versions of "modern" tackle innovations my brothers raving on about!

his most recent ones are these pellet feeder floats...he made himself a version that works perfectly well! caught a nice carp on it the other day in fact!

we sat talking on the bankside Tuesday: about modern tackle and innovations....he was regaling me of how his buddy, Norman, and he used to fish the middle level and make their own bite indicators! ping pong balls with hair clips pushed through them!

apparently he had one of the first bite alarms to come out..a big red box with a light on the front and two copper contacts that the line wrapped around? he made is own after pulling that one apart! LOL

the fact is he lobbed out a sarcandas reed float that must have been all of 6 inches long! bright green with a day glo yellow tip and it must have taken 5 AA just to cock it! he caught just as much as me! his rod is a £25 dragon carp special....mines a shimano tribal stc worth £130+!

we both use shimano reels costing about £25 but he always ledgers with an old Mitchell because he likes the feel of it! it rattles and clunks and I swear to god there is a some kind of air powered squeak box in the drag system..but it works!

think I saw his old Shakespeare rod I learned to fish with in his rod bag the other day as well! bet the old bugger will be using that next time as well! LOL!

Nothing wrong with old ,i have some small quills i use that are far easier to pull under than a crystal of the same lenght.

Their tips dont pull out when you need another colour but thats not really enough reason to chuck them

My old abus do what they have always done they winch line in then they hold onto it until i chuck it out again ,thats all i need of them it doesnt matter if compared to new they are noisy and stiff i like em ,i always have ,fishing with some lineaf clone would be like having an affair i would be ashamed to look at it in the spool

Embarrassingly i can remember more of the day i bought them than i can my wedding day a year later (whoops)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have been given old rods,reels,alarms,bait droppers etc,sometimes by people I have not even met because they would rather give them to someone who is going to love them and appreciate them and get pleasure out of using them than sell them to someone else.Just today I was sitting there fishing, got the place to myself ,I was using a Edgar sealy black arrow rod and an old Mitchell 300,I have fished this place 6 times now and not had a bite,but who cares,each time I use a different rod/reel,and I can't wait till the next trip,Today some old boy happened to come past and we started chatting when he left he promised me an old Mitchell reel that he has at home,he said I could have it for nothing and he would meet me over .there on Tuesday,I had never seen this bloke before .I can not wait till Tuesday,I had to pack up and go home ,all I can think off is what is this reel like.I am like a little kid at xmas,and long may it last .HAPPY DAYS