One weekend left

Anderoo

I love the Wissey, still my favourite river even though I now live a couple of hundred miles away. The drains have been fishing pretty poorly accourding to a mate who's been on them all winter, so I'd go for the wissey and get some pike and at dusk some lovely fat roach.

Well, I'm off in an hour or so for my final proper trip of the season. The weather's looking good (for the fish, that is) and I'm itching to get going - wish me luck...!

And good luck everyone else too, I hope you make the most of it (this excludes anyone who fishes through the close season, obviously :P Does June 16th mean nothing to you people? :2: ).

(Remember to check behind the bushes for immigrants. If you let this problem get out of hand you'll wake up in the morning and find they've eaten your bivvie, and taken your job. All on benefits too. It makes me want to puke my guts out. :o )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rabbit

I finished work early to get badly needed quality time on the river. Loaded with the van with tackle, and just managed to buy some maggies before the tackle shop in Tewkesbury closed for lunch.

Pointed the van in direction of the Warwickshire Avon at Pershore, hopes were soaring.

On arrival the river was tea coloured with a dash of milk!! Not the end of the world but was at least four feet up and pushing through fast . I was gutted I knew it was the kiss of death for my chances, and asking a few brave souls who were biteless all day confirmed it.

On the way home looked at the Severn and it was within three feet of bursting its banks! Ok we have had rain in the last few days, but I never thought for one minute that much water had fallen..oh well theres always AN to get my fix, right who wants to be first :boxing:

A delivery driver here told me the rivers on the way in look fit to burst. It's still raining, too.

Oh well, rugby and Formula One for me.

If it clears, I may get out Monday or Tuesday.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest rabbit
A delivery driver here told me the rivers on the way in look fit to burst. It's still raining, too.

Oh well, rugby and Formula One for me.

If it clears, I may get out Monday or Tuesday.

But with more rain and or snow forecast, looks like river levels will get worse!!! Oh well theres always the 'commercials' :yucky:

Went fishing today with Glenn, Steve Walker and The Flying Tench who made a cameo down our way. Was a nice day apart from the chilling wind. Meant it was tough to register bites on the tip but still managed to pull out 4 roach upto about 1 1/4 lbs. The pike also made an appearance again but at least this time I didn't have a roach on this time. Looking forward to 3 months time when I can there again and sit in shorts and t shirt.

Guest rabbit
Went fishing today with Glenn, Steve Walker and The Flying Tench who made a cameo down our way. Was a nice day apart from the chilling wind. Meant it was tough to register bites on the tip but still managed to pull out 4 roach upto about 1 1/4 lbs. The pike also made an appearance again but at least this time I didn't have a roach on this time. Looking forward to 3 months time when I can there again and sit in shorts and t shirt.

Well worth it Andrew for a nice roach...at least you managed to wet a line :)

Yep, nice to meet the guys and make the acquaintance of another A.N.'er ( The Tench dude)

Had a few bites plus a roach that I'd say was around 1lb but the scales would probably rate at 10oz ;)

I think I was registering bites OK, just that there weren't many! Wicked cold wind, but when it dropped and the sun came out it was almost like spring.

Some local anglers stopped for a chat and pretty much had a laugh at my white maggots. Seems upper B.Avon roach sneer at the natural wigglers and only eat red ones. :blink:

Roll on summer!

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Well worth it Andrew for a nice roach...at least you managed to wet a line :)

Wabbit, that part of the B.Avon seems strange. I read your post about the W.Avon being almost unfishable ... bloke in the Bath tackle shop reckons the upper B.Avon "doesn't flood", and in truth the water was a bit coloured but just moseying along nicely. Meanwhile down around Bath it was roaring.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Guest rabbit
Wabbit, that part of the B.Avon seems strange. I read your post about the W.Avon being almost unfishable ... bloke in the Bath tackle shop reckons the upper B.Avon "doesn't flood", and in truth the water was a bit coloured but just moseying along nicely. Meanwhile down around Bath it was roaring.

I have known it flood on quite a few occasions, but only after exceptional rainfall. Of course the reason most upper rivers don't flood is that not too many confluences have had an effect on water levels, unlike the lower river, well thats my theory for what its worth.

Did you catch today? Daniels well looks a picture doesn't it. Have you tried the 'Fire Station' stretch its free, has a weir and a good winter roach reputation. Turning opposite Scummerfield. If you go its the first swim up from the weir far bank maggot feeder, I have seen 50lb bags of roach caught, quality fish too :sun: