Australian coarse fish

The Flying Tench

G'day mate, chances are that the barra and big murray cod are well fed with the numerous bait-balls that abound in the impoundments. Undoubtedly, some big fish prey on smaller cousins.

A photo of a large bait-ball, bottom left and barra above and behind the bait-ball. From Kinchant dam, Mackay. Reasonable to say that the barra are in the 40-60 lb class.

As a bit of an interest, this is the size of lures we use for the impoundment barra, 12+ ft and 20+ft.

post-8845-1142569300_thumb.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember watching good old Rex Hunt on Sky TV - he was fishing in a reservoir by some half submerged trees, and he was catching perch - definitely our Perca fluviatilis, and he called them Red Fin Bass.

Try searching for "Red fin Bass" - you might have more luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit more on Australian "coarse" fish ;)

We prefer to call them freshwater fish and some, well, most freshies are in the 2lb-8lb bracket. Yellas=yellowbelly average 5lbs; goodoo=murray cod average 10-25lbs; bass average 2lbs

Then there are these beauties.....1.19 metres and 60+ lbs, the barramundi. They average 40lbs

083672.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

That beastie would be fun on light tackle I betcha.

Nice fish. Do you normally fish for them at night?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Barramundi are certainly a good looking fish.I would love to fish for them.Any one know if it is only Australia that has them? Do I remember Ken L catching them else where? India?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That beastie would be fun on light tackle I betcha.

Nice fish. Do you normally fish for them at night?

G'day mate, Barra are usually targeted early mornings, evenings from 6pm-11pm Then it is off to bed and an early (0430 am) start again....if we go to Peter Faust dam.

The bait-balls usually come out to feed on dark and return to safety in the early mornings.post-8845-1143406402_thumb.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Barramundi are certainly a good looking fish.I would love to fish for them.Any one know if it is only Australia that has them? Do I remember Ken L catching them else where? India?

They are caught in the Bay Of Bengal, mainly as a food fish. As far as I know, Australia is the only country where they are targeted as a sport fish. Have heard that there are some caught around Singapore, but not substantiated.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

They are to be found all the way up to the Arab gulf states.

Don't know if people fish for them though.

Cahal

• 2 months later...
Back to Australia and the Redfin (British) Perch

The Australian National Sportfishing Association runs a national record fish list

Their record for Redfin (British) Perch is 2.37kg - that's a few drams over 5 lb 3oz (D Wickham, Lake Mokoan, Victoria, 1982)

Check the link http://www.ansa.com.au/Sportfishing.htm and click on ANSA records, then select "sportfishing"

So where are these 5 to 10kg monsters?

I can't see any red-blooded Aussie angler passing up the chance of a record - I'm increasingly of the opinion that mis-identification is at the root of the stories from "way-back".

A picture I found from Australia. regarding redfin perch. It weighed in at 5.5 lbs

048b24fce345dff53db9286aec05302e.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Indonesia, Thailand, PNG all have barramundi if my memory serves me correctly.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote