Australian coarse fish

The Flying Tench

Another link http://www.sportsfish.net.au/fishing/fish-...er/red-fin.html has "to at least 9 kg" and "All redfin caught should be killed, as they are regarded as something of a pest in our waters. On no account should live redfin be transported from one area to another." Perhaps the Aussies need a "how to kill a perch humanely" thread :headhurt:!

G'day mate, that piece of info was originally aimed at the carp in Australia, which is a declared noxious fish in some states.

http://www.carpbusters.com.au/carpinfo.html

only a very small percentage of Australian fishos dislike the redfin. However, about 97% of the fishos detest the carp; so much so, that there are annual carp eradication competitions. The proceeds, (carp) go to the fertiliser factory and the money made from the comps, goes into the stocking of native fish.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only a very small percentage of Australian fishos dislike the redfin.

'Fishos' is a brilliant word. For me, said with an aussie accent, it combines warmth, acceptance and is also a bit 'sporty'. Said with an English accent it just wouldn't work. I have to admit that the Aussie language is superior in some ways. Do others agree?

john clarke

'Fishos' is a brilliant word. For me, said with an aussie accent, it combines warmth, acceptance and is also a bit 'sporty'. Said with an English accent it just wouldn't work. I have to admit that the Aussie language is superior in some ways. Do others agree?

Strewth, mate, too bloody right. :thumbs::thumbs:;);)

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate, indeed, some native freshwater fish grow to more than 22 lbs. We have the murray cod that grows to 100 kg, the yellowbelly grows to 24 kg, the salmon tailed catfish grows to about 35kg and the mighty barramundi grow to over 40 kg

Personally, I believe the reddie size was a bit of an overstatement. ;);)

A photo of a goodoo weighing in at 70 lbs from Copeton Dam, northern NSW

005431.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I have been working at an exhibition over the last couple of days and so I did a bit of asking around about redfins/perch while I was there. I never got any information concerning their location, but it seems that in December 2005 a Tony Weall caught a six pounder in a water between Boyerbrook and Bridgetown (Western Australia). The guy fishing witrh him had a four and a half pounder.

I also learned that permission has been granted to fish a private dam which contains "large" perch which have rarely been targeted by anglers. It seems that if I wish, the party going there will be extended to include me. Sadly any perch caught must be killed but being as they are pretty good tucker anyway that will not bother me too much. I don't particularly want to kill them, but they won't be wasted.

As yet, no dates have been set and no definite invitation has been extended to me but if it all comes to fruition, I will pass on exactly what comes from it all - though I may not be free to divulge the exact location of the water.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Thats some goodoo Bobj

McDowall (in Freshwater Fishes of SE Australia) mentions a fish of 113.5kg - that's just a few ounces short of 250 lb!

Mind you, its the same guy who is talking about 23 lb redfin........Here we go again :sun::sun:

Some worm too, Dogfish. I've got a picture somewhere of one of similar size in Ecuador - although the Aussie worm looks a tad larger

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thats some goodoo Bobj

McDowall (in Freshwater Fishes of SE Australia) mentions a fish of 113.5kg - that's just a few ounces short of 250 lb!

Mind you, its the same guy who is talking about 23 lb redfin........Here we go again :sun::sun:

Some worm too, Dogfish. I've got a picture somewhere of one of similar size in Ecuador - although the Aussie worm looks a tad larger

Could these giant perch, murray cod and the l/m bass that Newt spoke of be similar to ferox trout? i.e. genetically identical fish that take to eating their brethren early in life and end up growing to huge sizes for their species.

Could these giant perch, murray cod and the l/m bass that Newt spoke of be similar to ferox trout? i.e. genetically identical fish that take to eating their brethren early in life and end up growing to huge sizes for their species.

G'day mate, chances are that the barra and big murray cod are well fed with the numerous bait-balls that abound in the impoundments. Undoubtedly, some big fish prey on smaller cousins.

A photo of a large bait-ball, bottom left and barra above and behind the bait-ball. From Kinchant dam, Mackay. Reasonable to say that the barra are in the 40-60 lb class.

089801.JPG

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.