IM NEW TO FISHING AND NEED HELP PLEASE

MESMORISE

HI there im new to fishing and need some help, im going to start with float fishing and have looked on the net and found a few rigs could anyone tell me what will be the best to use any links would be helpfull,thankyou

also i wondered what size hooks are best to use for coarse fishing?,

any help would be much aprichated thanks

scott :)

Right for starters get yourself a reel line of around 3lbs.Make sure that the spool on your reel is filled right up to the top,this will help you cast easily.A simple waggler float set up will suffice for most of your fishing on the cannal.How you set one up and the correct positions to put your shot on for different situations will be shown on many sites.Just type in "waggler" on a search.A waggler float comes in two main types,one is straight and the other has a small thinner insert in the tip this makes it more sensitive.I would sugest that you get an insert type that takes around 3AA.

For your hooks I would sugest that you buy a packet of hook to nylons.These are hooks allready tied to a length of line with a loop at the other end.Size I would reccomend is 18 tied to around 1.5lb line.This lighter line will help you catch fish and if you get caught up on the bottom you wont loose your float as this will be on the heavier reel line which wont break before the hook link.

For bait just stick with maggots at the moment.Try two or just one on the hook.

When you get to your chosen swim you need to set your float to the correct depth so that your bait is on the bottom.You can buy a special weight called a plummet which you can attach to your hook.Stick it on (it will be to heavy for the float to support so if you arnt deep enough it will pull under,too deep and the float will lay flat.Take time getting your depth right as this will help you catch.

Once the depth is right make sure you have enough shot on the line to cock the float and leave just the insert showing.

One of the biggest skills to learn is "feeding" this means throwing in a few maggots to the same place that you are going/are fishing every couple of minutes.You are trying to encourage fish into your swim and create competition amongst them.Get it right and you will catch well.Too much and you will over feed them to little and they will move off!

When you catch a fish always handle it gently and with wet hands.As with all fishing its a lot easier to learn these things if you can go with someone who can show you.

Also I would reccomend one of the John Wilson books as they will show all you need to know ie knots,rigs,different methods etc etc.

Hope that is a bit of help.Any more exact queries just ask.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Ferret1959
Right for starters get yourself a reel line of around 3lbs.Make sure that the spool on your reel is filled right up to the top,this will help you cast easily.A simple waggler float set up will suffice for most of your fishing on the cannal.How you set one up and the correct positions to put your shot on for different situations will be shown on many sites.Just type in "waggler" on a search.A waggler float comes in two main types,one is straight and the other has a small thinner insert in the tip this makes it more sensitive.I would sugest that you get an insert type that takes around 3AA.

For your hooks I would sugest that you buy a packet of hook to nylons.These are hooks allready tied to a length of line with a loop at the other end.Size I would reccomend is 18 tied to around 1.5lb line.This lighter line will help you catch fish and if you get caught up on the bottom you wont loose your float as this will be on the heavier reel line which wont break before the hook link.

For bait just stick with maggots at the moment.Try two or just one on the hook.

When you get to your chosen swim you need to set your float to the correct depth so that your bait is on the bottom.You can buy a special weight called a plummet which you can attach to your hook.Stick it on (it will be to heavy for the float to support so if you arnt deep enough it will pull under,too deep and the float will lay flat.Take time getting your depth right as this will help you catch.

Once the depth is right make sure you have enough shot on the line to cock the float and leave just the insert showing.

One of the biggest skills to learn is "feeding" this means throwing in a few maggots to the same place that you are going/are fishing every couple of minutes.You are trying to encourage fish into your swim and create competition amongst them.Get it right and you will catch well.Too much and you will over feed them to little and they will move off!

When you catch a fish always handle it gently and with wet hands.As with all fishing its a lot easier to learn these things if you can go with someone who can show you.

Also I would reccomend one of the John Wilson books as they will show all you need to know ie knots,rigs,different methods etc etc.

Hope that is a bit of help.Any more exact queries just ask.

Good advice from Budgie but he has failed to mention the first thing you need before you even let your hook and bait to touch the water is a EA fishing license.

Without this even fishing in your own garden pond is an offence.

Unless you intend to go sea fishing. :)

Tut tut Budgie, shame on you. ;) ;) :)

Hello,

just thought i would mention one thing, pole.

You can get a starter pole for £50, just a elasticated whip basically. I got my 8 year old brother a 6 metre elasticated whip for £25 thinking about it, ok its not brilliant, but they are tough and not the end of the world if they get broken. In actual fact i helped my brother get a 8lb canal carp in on it, with no6 elastic and a 20 hook! The reason i mention a pole is due to the fact that it gives him the chance to concentrate on spotting bites, hooking fish etc, and general presentation, with out having to worry about the waggler blowing off slowly along the canal, and not casting to the same place all the time. with a pole you can learn the basics easily, learn what to expect from fish etc, THEN after he is confident catching a few fish, have a go with rod and line. I know some people dont like the pole, but I think its good for beginners, just to get a taste of fishing.

dave

Hello,

just thought i would mention one thing, pole.

You can get a starter pole for £50, just a elasticated whip basically. I got my 8 year old brother a 6 metre elasticated whip for £25 thinking about it, ok its not brilliant, but they are tough and not the end of the world if they get broken. In actual fact i helped my brother get a 8lb canal carp in on it, with no6 elastic and a 20 hook! The reason i mention a pole is due to the fact that it gives him the chance to concentrate on spotting bites, hooking fish etc, and general presentation, with out having to worry about the waggler blowing off slowly along the canal, and not casting to the same place all the time. with a pole you can learn the basics easily, learn what to expect from fish etc, THEN after he is confident catching a few fish, have a go with rod and line. I know some people dont like the pole, but I think its good for beginners, just to get a taste of fishing.

dave

You can get a reasonable pole from dragonmatchdirect incuding roller and 5 rigs for £50.00 see my earlier thread on pole fishing.

Dragon Match messed up with my credit card and that delayed delivery, as a result they threw in a pair of gloves and a a beanie from their Kinnetic range as freebies, just for being 3 days late with the delivery, not a bad deel as I couldn't fish over the weekend they missed anyway.

If your unsure of pole fishing, try reading Bob Nudds "Pole Fishing" it only cost £6.00 from Amazon, very instructive, lots of pictures and diagrams make it easy to understand